Removing labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avshockey311

Reaction score
I am just getting started in the hobby (PASSION). I was cleaning bottles last night to get ready to bottle my XPA. I thought to myself that there has to be a better way. Does anyone have an easy way of removing labels from once used bottles?

Soak them overnight in a sink or tub filled with hot water and Easy-Clean or B-Brite type cleaner/sanitizer. Still might require some elbow grease to get all the glue off, but they should be a whole lot easier to mange after soaking

Salute! :mug:

You will quickly find that some labels are much easier to get off than others. Just let them soak overnight, some people use Oxy Clean, I have been using regular dish soap. Just do them in large batches if you have a sink big enough, or throw them in the bathtub :rockin:

Welcome to this great hobby you will be hooked, but not hooked on bottling LOL

+1 on the oxyclean. I have a rubbermaid container i got for cheap at wal mart and soak the bottles in that. Overnight they pretty much fall off themselves. Plus when im done i have a container to store my supplies in

Welcome to HBT! What part of NE are in located?
I think the guys pretty much covered the answer; oxyclean Free soak and a good rinse. Works like a charm.

Just so you know, if you scroll to the very bottom of this page, there is a bunch of threads on the subject. It gets talked about a lot by folks that bottle. :D

Also, make sure you wash the bottles as soon as you empty them to get them ready for the next time. Oh yeah, one more tip. If you label on your bottle caps only (marker or sticker) it makes it a whole lot easier next time you use them.

As someone else mentioned, you'll learn which labels come off easy, too, and so I tend to gather those up. The labels that are paper come off with a quick soak and a wipe with a scrubby. Sierra Nevada bottles have a plastic coating that makes them much harder to get off. Sam Adams bottles are fairly easy to get off.

+1 for OxiClean Free....
+1 for the seach function

I am new to the hobby also and I have a 30 gallon rubbermade container with about 20 gallons of water and 2 full scoops from the large tub of OxiClean free. I soaked them for 24 hours and the lables all were floating. I literally took the bottles to the sink, spun the bottle in my hand and the glue came right off, it is amazing stuff! I just put the lid on the container now and when I finish a beer it goes in the OxiClean bath, the once a week I will pull them out and sit them to dry.

As someone else mentioned, you'll learn which labels come off easy, too, and so I tend to gather those up. The labels that are paper come off with a quick soak and a wipe with a scrubby. Sierra Nevada bottles have a plastic coating that makes them much harder to get off. Sam Adams bottles are fairly easy to get off.
i disagree about sierra nevada bottles
an overnight oxy soak got all of the labels off of my sierra nevada bottles

I <3 sierra nevada 24 oz bottles :D

+1 for oxyclean soak. Does everyone soak overnight? I haven't come across a label yet that won't float off the bottle in 2-3 hours.

+1 for oxyclean soak. Does everyone soak overnight? I haven't come across a label yet that won't float off the bottle in 2-3 hours.

Overnight just because it usually works out that way. I load up my utility sink at night and finish up the next day after work. There have been times delabeling beer and wine bottles that I get to it after a hour or two and it still works just fine.

I agree about the Sierra Nevada bottles, they can be a pain. The Samuel Adams are a piece of cake, but the easiest I have found have been Spaten. Most of the time, they come off as I lift the bottle out of the soak. I've even had them come off while they were in a cooler. I typically use some sort of sanitizer/cleanser, but I will have to look into the OxyClean.

I find that I drink Sam Adams and Arcadia Ales fairly more often than other things because their labels are fairly easy to take off with a soap and a scrubby pad.

Strange about the Sierra bottles-I did the oxyclean soak last week, and the Sierra bottles were the easiest to remove by far. The labels came right off (a lot of them had already fallen off when I pulled the bottle out), and the glue wiped away with just my thumb.

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is the easiest label to remove. Just another reason to pick up a 6-er! Soak in hot water for 30 min. Use a dish scrubber/scraper to get paper off, then a non steel-wool scrub pad (scotch-brite i think?) to get glue and date bottled on labeling off. I can do 12 bottles in about 15 minutes after the initial 30 min soak.

Anybody know if the home brew labels you can purchase come off easy?

Okay, here's what I do. I fill several bottles full of water to weight them down and then put them in a stock pot. I can usually fit seven 22oz bottles in mine. Then I fill the stock pot full of water until all labels are covered plus one inch. I put the stock pot on the burner on low heat and let it set for an hour.

I pull the bottles out of the pot (careful, the will be hot) and let them cool down for a few minutes. Empty the water out of the bottles and fill your sink with some warm water and dish soap. At this point the whole label should peel off whole rather easily and all your left with is some of the glue on the bottle. Put it in the warm soapy water and rub the remaining glue with a brillo pad. Glue comes off easy as pie with little effort.

Cheers,

Duke

Also I've found that a piece of steel wool is good for scrubbing off the excess adhesive after the bottles soak for a bit.

+1 more here. I just leave them in overnight or for a day or two if I'm busy. Labels and glue fall right off, then just a quick rinse with sprayer on garden hose and they're good to go to sanitizing.

I have also started doing the Oxi soak overnight. If they don't slide right off after that, they go to the recycling center. I don't have time to waste dealing with stubborn labels! (unless the bottle is uber cool, then I make time).

Also, I love my bottle washing adapter! I replace the aerator on my sink with this thing and it flushes the bottles out quick and easy!

One more note. I see that Founders, in Grand Rapids has gone from twist-offs, to pry-offs! Now I can enjoy their beer AND reuse their stubby bottles!

EDIT: I also usually spray a bit of star san in there, to neutralize the Oxi, and hopefully kill off any bugs before they go to storage. I generally place them upside down to keep stuff from falling in during storage too. Just a couple of easy steps to help prevent any infection.

oxy-clean soak, and a metal pad to rub off excess goo.

O'fallon brewery labels would not come off for anything. They are the only ones I have ever had a problem with.

A small batch of double-strength StarSan and a one-hour soak for the tough stuff and the painted bottles -

my 2 cents...

I am only on my 10th batch but several have been 10 and 15 gallon batches. I have collected over 300 bottles to re-use. Many I enjoyed the store bought contents but most came out of the wild from friends or the local cantina.

First, if you drink the beer, rinse the damn thing out right away. Just two quick rinses with plain water and store the bottle until bottling day. Sanitizing just prior to filling will be all you need to do. If you give beer to your friends and they send them back dirty, don't give them any more damn beer until they learn to rinse the bottles. If you are bringing bottles in from the wild or need to remove labels, here is my method

Get a big box of OxyClean Free (unscented) from Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target, etc. What makes Oxyclean so great for this is that it cleans without agitation and then rinses very quickly. No foam, no residue, no taste. I use it for cleaning all of my beer equipment.

Place a plastic storage bin in the bathtub and put your bottles in standing up. In an extra bucket, mix 2 scoops (about 1 cup) of Oxyclean with 5 gal of hot tap water. Since I want the cleaning solution inside the bottles as well as outside, I put the bucket up on the counter next to the bathtub and siphon the solution into each bottle filling them so they don't float up later when I fill the bin itself. Mix more solution if needed to fill all the bottles. I use a 1/2 in diameter hose which gives a good flow and doesn't take forever. I start the siphon by mouth. A little Oxyclean won't hurt you and you don't need to worry about sanitation at this point.

Once all the bottles are filled with cleaning solution, I throw a couple more scoops of Oxyclean in around the bottles and fill the bin with hot water to above the mouths of the bottles. Now, with all the bottles full and the bin full, I let them soak for 2 or 3 hours.

In that short of time, most of the labels are either floating loose or peel off easily. Just a quick hit with a scrubby pad will take off the excess label and glue. Cerveza bottles have really tough labels so they can sit in buckets of ice for hours. Prior to putting them to soak, just take a knife and score the label in several places so the solution can penetrate. They may take some more time than others.

So, once you remove a label and get the glue off, turn the bottle upside down and shake vigorously while it drains. This will dislodge any crap that may still be in the bottle. Most of the time, any mold or gunk has already floated out. This includes moldy chunks of limes. I eyeball into each bottle to make sure it is clean and place them into a milk crate. Once the crate is full, I take my hand held shower sprayer and rinse the outsides of all the bottles in the crate with hot water.

Then I go to my bathroom sink where I have installed my bottle washer. With the faucet turned to full hot water, I rinse the inside of each bottle. It only takes 10 seconds or so for the Oxyclean to rinse out.

The bottles go back into the milk crate (about 24-30 per crate depending on size) and are stored for the next bottling day. Cover the crate with foil or plastic wrap if you want to but I don't worry about it. Just before bottling, I use my very own Almost Automated Bottle Sanitizer device. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/almost-automated-bottle-sanitizer-pics-video-125881/

I hope this makes bottle washing day easier for most of you. Happy washing. :mug:

My newb .02...
I just removed the labels off my first 50 bottles this weekend. 30 minutes in a kitchen sink full of hot water, and a whole small box of baking soda.(89cents). Every one of the labels fell off in about 30 minutes, and the glue came off with a single swipe of a rag. After that I rinsed them good, and they were ready to be sanitized. They all look pristine.
BTW if Anyone tells me the baking soda wash will ruin my beer I may have to drive off a cliff.

Ammonia and water works great. Just soak for an hour or so and just peel those babies right off.

i peel as much of the label off dry as possible (pretty easy) then i put them in a sink with warm water for about an hour. then scrub them with that copper wool stuff... or the coarse end of a double sided sponge. sometimes glue from certain bottles are hard to get off so i just chunk those lol

Not sure if its available in your area or not but Deschutes Brewery labels are the easiest to remove that I have found.

Drink a lot of two hearted ale from Bells. All Bells labels come right off w soap and hot water after 20 minutes.

I could easily say I have hundreds of bells bottles in my brew arsenal.

Just another excuse to drink two hearted over Sam Adams!

Drink a lot of two hearted ale from Bells. All Bells labels come right off w soap and hot water after 20 minutes.

I could easily say I have hundreds of bells bottles in my brew arsenal.

Just another excuse to drink two hearted over Sam Adams!

You need an excuse to do that? lol :tank::tank::tank:

I fill up my dishwasher and let it run on the long cycle. Take a few hours but my hands don't hurt from scrubbing off labels.

I toss mine in a 5 gallon bucket of starsan....it will also remove the paint from screen printed bottles with a little elbow grease

My newb .02...
I just removed the labels off my first 50 bottles this weekend. 30 minutes in a kitchen sink full of hot water, and a whole small box of baking soda.(89cents). Every one of the labels fell off in about 30 minutes, and the glue came off with a single swipe of a rag. After that I rinsed them good, and they were ready to be sanitized. They all look pristine.
BTW if Anyone tells me the baking soda wash will ruin my beer I may have to drive off a cliff.

+1 for the baking soda/powder. It really eats away the glue in a short amount of time.

Back