Anyone use a Therminator as a HERMS Heat exchanger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
Just wondering. I figure a plate chiller would be pretty efficient at heating as well.

I figure you could just recirculate the HLT water through the Water in/out and maintain your mash temp that way. I suppose you'd want to insulate the therminator, but has anyone ever tried this?

You'd really have to make sure no grain particles were going through the plate chiller, or you'd be setting yourself up for some significant problems.

You'd really have to make sure no grain particles were going through the plate chiller, or you'd be setting yourself up for some significant problems.

+1 to this but it's the same issue you have when using it to chill.

If you can assure yourself that no particles are entering the heat exchanger then it certainely seems like it would work. Interesting idea.

I too have a therminator for chilling and just use my old IC in my HLT to raise temps. Heat the HLT up to 190 and then pump the wort through the copper coil to raise the temp, this way I don't have to worry about particles until I need to chill. For that I strain using a hopstopper and then pump into the therminator. I was thinking about using a hopback as a secondary strainer but I haven't set it up yet.

Rick

Back