can I make lager from English pale malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maharg

Reaction score
just wondering if I can make a decent lager doing single infusion mash with English pale Marris Otter malt instead of lager malt?

Yes. You can use any malt and any specialty grains for any style of beer that you want. How you choose the different malts is the flavor profile you are going for. I use this handy guide to help me decide which malt I want for which beer: http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/Malt101.html

For my Oktoberfest, I used Vienna malt for my base malt because I wanted deep malty flavor. I love marris otter malt and wouldn't hesitate to use it in just about any beer I make. Like I said, it really depends on your recipe and what you're trying to make.

There is a low colour marris otter available in the UK but regular marris otter will make a nice lager, it's all about the yeast, hops and temperature of fermentation although you can make a passable lager like ale with US05 or even Nottingam. (you're going to serve it so cold and fizzy you'd never tell the difference any way)

Thanks a lot for those replies - I thought it would be ok to use Marris Otter and do a low temperature fermentation with lager yeast but wasn't completely sure - now I know! Thermometer here in the uk is going down now so it'll be the perfect time to make lager.

Sir Humpsalot said:
You're going to wear your legs out jumping to conclusions like that... ;)

even in the UK lager is served bitterly cold and fizzy:rolleyes:

...lucky enough to have an old fridge in the garage to stick the keg in once the primary is finished....

Back