Can anyone help me figure out the ABV of a cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
So here's the deal.

Back in July my brother and I took 12 pounds of granny smith apples and juiced them and got about 4-5 gallons. We took a OG and got 1.044 (to the best of my memory). Added Champagne yeast and let it sit in primary for 3 weeks then moved to secondary for 3 weeks in a fridge.

When we took the FG it read 1.000 which seemed strange and we didn't do much research into it. But I believe when we did the math we got a cider of around 5%( I could be wrong).

Based on the drinking of this cider I would guess I'm way off in the ABV, and would say it'd have to be at least 8%. This is because three 16 oz cups got me drunk, and usually a 5% beer would take me about 6-7 drinks to make me feel that way.

I figured that taking OG and FG might be different for ciders now, but based on the 12 pounds of granny smith apples can anyone guesstimate or do better and tell me the ABV of this cider?

Thanks!

Back