Dead Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
I pitched some Dead yeast on friday to my IPA and I was gone all weekend (and I do not have any extra yeast on hand), the LBS is not open on Monday or Sunday. I was wondering if it would be too late to pitch some on Tuesday, its only a 2.5 gallon batch, so I'd like to know if its worth the drive to the LBS tmrw. Thanks

-Justin

First, did you take a hydrometer reading? Are you sure it's dead and didn't ferment?

If it is dead, I would go ahead and pitch some fresh yeast tomorrow. If everything was sanitized well, then you're probably OK.

While you're there, buy an extra package of dry yeast, maybe Nottingham, to keep on hand for such situations. ;)

I did not check the SG because I checked on the batch about 15 hours after pitching, and no activity, thats when I had to leave. I came back sunday evening to see that there was still no activity. So I am going to take a ride over to the store tmrw and pick up some packets, and toss another one in, hopefully it will be alright.

ya know come to think of it, I bought 2 packets of dry windsor yeast and one of them I think expired in 2009 and the other June 2007. I might have pitched the June 2007 one for this batch.

It should still be alright, though. I don't think I've ever had a dry yeast not take off. I pitched nottingham into my DIPA I made on Saturday, and it was going crazy in a few hours.

Well, I guess it wont hurt to take a reading, I'm still leaning towards no, since the yeast is just floating on the top of the batch.

Back