Shipping Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom

Reaction score
I think I may have ruined a batch and a hbt member confirmed that indeed it was ruined and was kind enough to offer to dispose of it if I ship it to him. My question is, can I ship the entire bucket or do I need to bottle it first to ship?

That sounds like a giant PITA. You'd need a lid that will seal, and I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship. You'll have to use Fedex or UPS. Shipping 40-some bottles doesn't sound much easier.

I think it would work if i taped the seal really well...if i ship bottles, i'd be concerned about the bottles breaking.

my second question is, what does this member want with my ruined batch??

I'm sure he was just joking. Since we all love beer here, we hate to see any beer wasted, so I'm sure he was just pulling your leg. Unless he gave you his shipping address.

I hope you are kidding and if not, just pretend anyway. This is a very common tongue in cheek joke on HBT

Is my beer ruined?... Yes! send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. :cross:

Put a bung in the top of your carboy, use duct tape to secure it in place, then just take the carboy down to UPS with the address and ask for a quote.

I think I may have ruined a batch and a hbt member confirmed that indeed it was ruined and was kind enough to offer to dispose of it if I ship it to him. My question is, can I ship the entire bucket or do I need to bottle it first to ship?

Stop by your local USPS and you should find a rack with Priority Mail flat rate boxes. Get the biggest one. They're free (but only for use with Priority Mail). Take it home and unfold into a box. You probably want to use some packing tape over the outside to keep it from leaking. Rack from your bucket into this and seal up the other side.

Cheap, quick, and easy.

Stop by your local USPS and you should find a rack with Priority Mail flat rate boxes. Get the biggest one. They're free (but only for use with Priority Mail). Take it home and unfold into a box. You probably want to use some packing tape over the outside to keep it from leaking. Rack from your bucket into this and seal up the other side.

Cheap, quick, and easy.

this seems like a good option. i was thinking of racking into 1 gallon ziplock bags...i can't imagine that the box wouldn't leak if i racked directly into it...

Listen Guys, you are not taking this seriously. Remember, in order to ship this stuff, you have to have an EPA approval and it must be shipped in a HAZ MAT container approved by the EPA. After you get EPA approval, make sure that the shipping company you use clearly marks on the side of their Trucks "Dangerous Material" and the international symbol for Hazardous Material. My computer will not type that symbol so you will have to use a search engine on the internet for it. Now when it arrives, make sure the recipent contacts the local fire department and has a truck standing by when unloading it. Also be sure you file Form 99T with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (ATT) formerly known as the ATF (seems they changed their name when they got into a truck load of trouble down in Waco. Sort of like the INS changing their name when they re-issued all those Student Visa's to the dead guys who flew those planes into the Twin Towers) Make sure you use the most current Form 99-T, revised 04/11 (it says so right at the bottom of the form). Now if you don't want to go to all of this trouble, just pour the S**t down the toilet and chalk one up to the gipper.

If you think I am making this up, go to the ATT site and look up the requirements for a simple beer lable.

We're not taking this too seriously because the expression "send it to me for proper disposal" is just a goof. It's itended to mean,"hey,if you don't want it,I'll take it". Not that the other person is going to figure out what's wrong,fix it,& send it back. I can't believe anyone would be that gullible. Not to mention the weight of 5-6 gallons of beer & the weight of the container & packaging. That would outstrip the cost of brewing it to begin with.

Back