Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODA

Reaction score
I transferred a 3 gallon batch to a 3 gallon carboy secondary for dry-hopping and noticed these little clusters on top. The batch was in a 5 gallon primary carboy for 14 days. The beer still tastes good.

Do you think it's mold? If so, what to do? Go ahead and bottle?

DSCN0658.jpg

So this picture was from the primary? Doesn't look like mold to me. Looks perfectly normal. Don't quote me on it.

Drink up!

Yep, picture is from the primary. I probably wouldn't have questioned it too much except my basement experienced some pretty serious flooding earlier this year and it's been pretty damp and musky down there. Also read in "How to Brew" that an oxygenated fermentation can result in mold...i.e., the additional headspace I had in the primary.

Yup. Looks perfectly normal to me. Especially after only 14 days. It will fall back in on it's own or you can go ahead and bottle with no ill effects.

Also read in "How to Brew" that an oxygenated fermentation can result in mold...i.e., the additional headspace I had in the primary.

I know it's a possibility but I've never had a problem with extra head space in the primary. Primarry fermentation creates a nice blanket of CO2 which should keep the Oxygen out. As long as you're not moving it too much.

Thanks for the responses. Maybe this type of clustering is more typical when dry yeast is used? I've been using liquid but switched up to dry for this batch.

Back