Ever heard of Moa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completegeek

Reaction score
A local specialty food shop has a small but diverse beer selection that I check out regularly. Last night I saw a beer called Moa. It's from New Zealand. Has anyone ever tried it before?

Their 5 hop ESB came in a 4 pack of 16 oz bottles for 21 bucks so I was thinking of giving it a try. I guess I'd call it a birthday present to myself.

If you have actually heard of this and tried it, what did you think?

Here's a link to their site http://www.moabeer.co.nz/

We carry the red, black and blue where I used to work. I've had one but can't remember which one - unfortunately, it wasn't anything that special... Someone told me they use champagne yeast, but the beer is definitely not fully attenuated and the mouthfeel was only slightly softer than typical carbonation.

Speights is a REAL new Zealand beer (south island) and because it's real nz beer they do not export it...at all.ever hear how wine in Australia is 10000% better than Aussie wine available in the states... Nz beer is the same

they don't export speights because its crap, same as db,tui et al,its only marketing and rugby associations which sell the stuff, i really don't understand the undying loyalty to the brands either when in a blind taste test most people couldn't tell the difference between em,bland,insipid, they'd send the stuff back.

Not true about exporting NZ beer, they export steinlager which is a nasty lager. it's like they took an urquell recipe and brewed it at ale temps. The best NZ beer is Mac's Blonde or mac's Black.

Moa is awesome... we can only get a limited amount around christmas in the large bottles. They sell Moa for around $7 per bottle (small) at Whole Foods. Does anyone know the recipe?

I bought a bottle of Moa's Imperial Stout aged in Pinot Noir barrels. It's in the cellar now, but I look forward to drinking it when the time's right!

Back