Stuck and strange behavior!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilph

Reaction score
I have a cherry oatmeal stout that has been acting up some. I need some help troubleshooting and figuring this out, so I can save my beer and so th is dosent happen again!
I have made this beer many times before with no issues. One thing I did different was because I forgot the ringwood yeast at the homebrew store, I pitched some Scotch ale slurry to get it going. It took off for about two days, then suddenly stopped. I gave it a few more days before I added the ringwood (I didn't make a starter) and realized that the ringwood didn't take.
My next thought was to take a hydrometer reading, it came in at 1023. I then reracked it to a secondary, used some slurry from the bottom and fed it some drymalt. It took a matter of hours for it to take then died down again, like it did before (in primary). I figured I should pitch it right into secondary anyway because what's the worst that could happen? It never took, and the reading is still 1023.
What is my next reasonable corse of action?
Thanks you guys, you're the best!
Neil

try warming things up a little. by this point i assume that the bulk of the fermentation is over. as such temp control isn't as important. there are lots of threads on here about unsticking a stuck fermentation.

try warming things up a little. by this point i assume that the bulk of the fermentation is over. as such temp control isn't as important. there are lots of threads on here about unsticking a stuck fermentation.

The OG was 1050ish. It is at about 75-77 degrees, and the temp has been stable. I am begining to wonder if its just done in like 3 days!

I have tased it, when I took the reading. It tastes fine to me. I cannot detect any off flavors or anything else that is alarming.

If it tastes fine, consider it done IMO. At some point you have to stop adding stuff and move on. Maybe your wort was not as fermentable as previous batches due to mashing temps being different or other factors.

Given the OG was 1.050, I'd be surprised if this was finished. Still, if it tastes good, who cares? Numbers and hydrometer readings don't taste good, well brewed beer does. If you like the way it tastes, and it hasn't budged in a week or more, then consider it done, bottle/keg, and move on.

I also plan on adding cherry essence at botteling. Thuis should mask any off flavors that would come though. Im going to bottle it and move on! Thanks for your help!

Back