Dilution help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One of my brews today came in at an i.g. of 1.065. I assume I had too much boiloff. Puzzling, because the boil times were the same. I was shooting for 1.054, and hit that with the wheat, but overshot with the ESB. I want to dilute down to target. I'm not sure how much water to add. I think I have about 4 gallons in each carboy for the ESB. I did a search looking for an old post on this, and didn't see it. Can someone point me to a suitable formula?

The water guidelines I was using suggested that I add some epsom salts, but I am out. Any reason I couldn't add those in when I add some diluting water to the carboys? I presume I'll be boiling the water, and might as well boil that too.

65 points times 4 gallons is 260 points.

You want to distribute 260 points into X number of gallons to get 54 points per gallon.

X * 54 = 260
X = 260 / 54
X = 4.81

So you need to add .81 gallons, or about 3 quarts and 8 ounces to each carboy.

Thanks for the help. I knew there was a formula, but couldnt' recall it at that point in the evening. Two brews in a day made a pretty long day on my current setup.

You already got your answer, but for the future an easy way to remember it is:
current SG * current volume = target SG * target volume

You already got your answer, but for the future an easy way to remember it is:
current SG * current volume = target SG * target volume

Absolutely. I just can never memorize the formulas, so I just work them out every time I need them. :eek:

Back