Control panel main power switch...what are you using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I have my control panel and most of my components, just waiting on my SSR's from China. My design has my control panel plugging into my 60A disconnect box using a 240V 50A 4 prong plug. I also have the breaker for an power on/off switch. However, I've been wanting a MAIN power switch on my control panel but I don't believe they make a 50-60A 220V switch. Just curious to what some of you are doing?

I was thinking of using two 30A 220V light switches to control the 110 side L1, and the L2 coming in the control panel.

However, I've been wanting a MAIN power switch on my control panel but I don't believe they make a 50-60A 220V switch. Just curious to what some of you are doing?

Automation direct sells them up to 600V
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Circuit_Protection_-z-_Fuses_-z-_Disconnects

Similar type I use made by A-B.
SwitchesFrontView.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I picked up a Square D 30A 300V relay. Apply 120 to the coil to close the switch, and it can deliver 30A @ 300V on 2 poles. Looks like this:

42365_300.jpg

Yea, your best bet is a 120v capable switch and a contactor just like above. I've got an E-Stop switch wired like that and its nice to have that protection.

I'd suggest going to a local electrical supply shop and they should be able to get you what you need. They them you need a 'Normally Open Definite Purpose Contactor' that can handle 50A 250V on 2 poles, with a 120VAC coil voltage (or whatever type of voltage you plan to have available to actuate the coil) I think it would be easier to mount than a switch that could handle that, and you get the satisfying 'clunk' when you actuate it :)

EDIT: The one I purchased above cost me $25 at a local supply shop, though I see them selling for $40-$75 online.

Back