Sorachi Ace in an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the bunnay

Reaction score
After being exposed to Sorachi Ace hops in an AHS seasonal (South by Southwheat), I decided I really dug the lemon pepper notes. We've used it to great effect in wheat beers and a lighter saison, but I'm wondering about incorporating it into a hoppier style as they have a good alpha acid potential (13-16%). Has anyone used them in an IPA? I'm thinking they might be a little unbalanced for a single hop beast but was considering that in combination with Cascade and Amarillo, say, it might bring something excellent to the glass. Am I just building myself up for disappointment?

I'm currently drinking a Sorachi Ace/ 2-row SMaSH right now and I'm really liking the flavors as well. The IBU's are only in the low 40's so it's not quite IPA territory but I really like the overall bittering/flavor the lone hop gives. I'm not sure if increasing the bitterness would make it unbalanced or not as I have heard this particular hop isn't great as a single hop beer. Just giving my experience with this hop.

I think it would be fine, but I'd skip any caramel/crystal malts and use aromatic/bicuit instead - or just base malt. To me caramel and lemon is not an ideal combo.

I've got a Belgian Pale ale fermenting now that used Sorachi Ace for bittering.

When trying to extract maximum flavor in a brew using all high AA hops, wait until the last 20 minutes before adding any hops at all. Then, go nuts!

Back