Combining Yeast/Adding yeast half way through fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing the Stone Russian Imperial Stout this weekend and have been planning it for a while. I am using the WLP002 yeast that I just finished with on my previous batch. I washed it and left if in the fridge overnight, decanted the liquid off the top and let it warm up to room temp. I created a starter last night and pitched the washed yeast last night.

My question today is that I am wondering if I should be using a different yest, the recipe says that the gravity will go from 1.096 to 1.020, but you not going to get to that using WLP002 as it averages 66.5% attenuation.

I am expecting my batch to be at 1.101 and finish at 1.032 with a 3000ml starter using WLP002.

I am wondering how I can get that final gravity down a bit more. Could I hold some fresh yeast off to the side and pitch it as fermentation starts to slow down or should I pitch some WLP005 in addition to the WLP002, which I also have in the fridge?

I am already going to mash at 149-150 to maximize the sugars potential.

Anyways, what do I do?

I don't think there's a problem with pitching new yeast to finish something out. I know a few saison recipes recommend pitching champagne yeast if your saison yeast gives up and doesn't get there... for the last bit of fermentation, I don't think you'll get much of any character from the new yeast.

I don't think there's a problem with pitching new yeast to finish something out. I know a few saison recipes recommend pitching champagne yeast if your saison yeast gives up and doesn't get there... for the last bit of fermentation, I don't think you'll get much of any character from the new yeast.

Thanks for the response. May main concern is what happens. Say I toss in some more WLP002 when the gravity is nearing completion IE 1.040 in this case, with an average attenuation of 66.5%, is it possible that the beer will go down to 1.0134. I am sure there is more variables involved since there is already yeast working in the beer when more yeast is introduced.

I am just trying to get down to the 1.020 mark or close.

Back