Anyone brew with Chinese herbs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quikfeet509

Reaction score
I am probably getting ahead of myself since my first batch just made it into a secondary and the entire process has been a comedy of errors, but I was wondering if anyone incorporates the use of herbs in their beers. I have a degree in acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine and I am familiar with 300+ herbs [most of which would probably suck in beer] and I have access to reputable supply companies. I am also aware of the Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers, although I haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet.

I was think of using herbs that might taste good [Gou Qi Zi, Da Zao, Huang Qi], might have beneficial effects [Ren Shen, some of the digestive herbs], or that might have interesting side-effects [Dang Shen (read: Salvia)].

Anyone?

Ooh, now I think I want to maybe try some ginseng and make an energy beer! Or Yin Yang Huo for... ya know....

Well that's the great thing about homebrewing, you are free to try whatever you want!

Ooh, now I think I want to maybe try some ginseng and make an energy beer! Or Yin Yang Huo for... ya know....

I do know...and I think it would go over well with pretty much everyone involved [once I could find a way to mask the taste...not a big fan of the flavor].

Well that's the great thing about homebrewing, you are free to try whatever you want!

My chief concerns are the lag-time and cost of doing experimental batches. Guess I could try a small batch although wouldn't that require smaller-volume equipment?

My chief concerns are the lag-time and cost of doing experimental batches. Guess I could try a small batch although wouldn't that require smaller-volume equipment?

You can get a case (6pcs) of half-gallon jugs pretty cheap. I use them for experimental batches. Make a 3gal and bust it up ways.

I did receive my "Sacred Herbal Healing Beers" book and although I am a hippy, I found much of the prose to be a bit too tree-hugger-ish.

Yeah, I agree about the tone/prose, and A LOT of those recipes leave something to be desired....I even wonder if some of them are downright dangerous (I doubt it, I'm sure they have all been tested, but still.)

I sure hope no first time brewers use that book as their "bible" on how to make beer...

Anyway, you might find this dead thread of mine interesting...I posted asking for some info on this, and it sunk like a lead balloon...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/bek-se-ju-korean-rice-ginseng-wine-59098/

Yeah, I agree about the tone/prose, and A LOT of those recipes leave something to be desired....I even wonder if some of them are downright dangerous (I doubt it, I'm sure they have all been tested, but still.)

I sure hope no first time brewers use that book as their "bible" on how to make beer...

Anyway, you might find this dead thread of mine interesting...I posted asking for some info on this, and it sunk like a lead balloon...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/bek-se-ju-korean-rice-ginseng-wine-59098/

Man, I looked at that thread and suddenly I felt like I was back in school trying to remember the ingredients to formula. The ingredient list looks very familiar, and if I get time this weekend, I'll find what it is modified from. It is difficult to tell exactly it is supposed to be without specific dosages, but I'll do my best.

I think it'd be great to have a recipe around here that uses Chinese herbs. I'd love to make a batch with my Chinese friend Xiaoxia. She'd get a kick out of it hehe.

Where can the average joe get chinese herbs? I was thinking of stopping by Whole Foods.

Will boiling denature the active ingredients? Should the herbs be added to secondary or done with a vodka infusion?

Hmm. More experimentation required.

I remember a SoBe drink called Drive that was like a grape-strawberry drink that used Yin Yang Huo (horny goat weed). If what you way is true, I'm thinking either the concentration was so minute as to be useless, or fruit flavors mask the herbal texture extremely well.

Aphrodisiac strawberry blonde, anyone? Or would that be a strawberry blonde ho?

Where can the average joe get chinese herbs? I was thinking of stopping by Whole Foods.

Will boiling denature the active ingredients? Should the herbs be added to secondary or done with a vodka infusion?

Hmm. More experimentation required.

I remember a SoBe drink called Drive that was like a grape-strawberry drink that used Yin Yang Huo (horny goat weed). If what you way is true, I'm thinking either the concentration was so minute as to be useless, or fruit flavors mask the herbal texture extremely well.

Aphrodisiac strawberry blonde, anyone? Or would that be a strawberry blonde ho?

More than likely, the average Joe would have to stop at an herb shop to get loose herbs. Search the internet for any Chinese herbal dispensaries in the area, but unless you live on the coasts, the chances of finding one is small. Whole Foods might have pills, but those won't work.

Most Chinese herbal supply companies will only sell to licensed practitioners.

Boiling is actually probably required to liberate the active ingredients in the herbs. Most of the classical actions and indications are based off the practice of decocting herbs in boiling water, although in some circumstances the herbs were infused in liquor, or if the herb was pricey, it might be powdered and added at the end.

This is probably going to be a long process. The only use of Chinese herbs in alcoholic beverages (that I am aware of) usually involves strong liquor, a bottle, the herb, and about 6-12 months. I think brewing Chinese herbs in beer is uncharted territory.

Latest posts

Back