Sparging Fly , Need Help >

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Anyone have good pictures on a well mechanically working fly to rinse grain after mashing ? I use 10 gallon drinking water igloo coolers

I don't have a picture, but it's easy to picture in your mind. About 2 inches of liquid above the grainbed, with the water coming in in a tube/line sitting on top of that, trickling in.

I've tried fly sparge "arms" and the like but it didn't work as well as just a simple piece of tubing does.

I use a spray nozzle from ispray.com. It's a 1/4" brass nozzle that produces a full cone pattern. Very even and gently covers the grains. This is how a lot of commercial breweries do it as well.

jcaudill said:
I use a spray nozzle from ispray.com. It's a 1/4" brass nozzle that produces a full cone pattern. Very even and gently covers the grains. This is how a lot of commercial breweries do it as well.

Do u use a pump? Or do u just gravity feed it?

My buddy uses a showerhead attached to the hose from his HLT. Works pretty well. It took a couple of fittings/adapters to hook the hose up to the showerhead, but those parts are all easily obtainable from Home Depot or wherever...

I use copper tubing in a circle with small holes drilled in it to make my own "shower head".
7334-mt5.jpg

Guy at my homebrew shop floats a spoon on the surface and lets the sparge water trickle onto the spoon.

There's no reason that the water needs to be sprayed or evenly trickled over the grain. I understand why people think it's beneficial but it would only be so if you ran the tun dryer than ideal. With an inch or two of sparge water over the top, the grain doesn't know how the water is coming in. You just don't want to drill the water down through. If you did, you'd be sparging too fast anyway.

There's no reason that the water needs to be sprayed or evenly trickled over the grain. I understand why people think it's beneficial but it would only be so if you ran the tun dryer than ideal. With an inch or two of sparge water over the top, the grain doesn't know how the water is coming in. You just don't want to drill the water down through. If you did, you'd be sparging too fast anyway.

I agree with this in principle but in practice it is much easier to prevent channeling when you do so.

Gravity , I have pumps but I do not believe that they are rated for the hot water IE (regular pond pumps) I like the copper sample simple , ill make it . thx for pic;s

Back