8 days enough to carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
My IPA has fermented to about a week now, still bubbles every 20 seconds. I will leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks (3 total). I then only have 8 days or so to carbonate the keg for a party. Will this be possible if I do NOT want to carbonate it quickly? And is it enough time (4 weeks) for an IPA to drink?

If it is enough time, what is your suggestion to carb it?

Thanks.

What do you mean by NOT quickly? Assuming you're saying you don't want to do the 30psi shake thing, I say put it at about 20 psi for 48 hours and then turn it down to serving pressure. After the 8 days it should be carbonated fine. It won't be at it's best until a couple of weeks later, but it'll be close.

If you were hoping for set & forget (hook it up to serving pressure and then just wait until it's carb'ed) then 8 days is not nearly long enough. My kegs take about 2 1/2 weeks at 10psi and serving temps to be carb'ed enough.

Yeah, I was hoping to set and forget. Don't want to do the shake method. Ok, I guess I'll try the 20psi for 48, then down to serving pressure. This is my first time kegging.

Thanks

I would do 30psi for about 36 hours then turn down to serving pressure.
That should give you plenty of time

You could also check your Gravity after the 2nd week of fermentation and if its done go ahead and start carbonating sooner. That would give you an extra week to get it carbed up.

You could also check your Gravity after the 2nd week of fermentation and if its done go ahead and start carbonating sooner. That would give you an extra week to get it carbed up.

Ok. I have just been reading to leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks. I guess it's just a matter of getting the experience in all this. Currently I don't know anything about this :eek:

I am going to take a gravity reading later this week and see if fermentation has stopped or not. It's bubbling every 30 seconds right now (I know you can use the bubbles to determine when it is finished).

airlock bubbles aren't a good way to determine when fermentation is done. If I were in your situation, I would give it a good 2 weeks, check the gravity, if your not sure it's done give it a few more days and check again. When I'm not in a hurry, I'll let a beer ferment atleast 2 weeks up to 3 weeks for an ale. If it's a lager I let it go a month minimum.

3 weeks is a good time range for primary fermentation but since your kind of in a hurry it is totally feasable to get it kegged as soon as you hit your FG

I would do 30psi for about 36 hours then turn down to serving pressure.
That should give you plenty of time

++++1 36-48hrs at 30psi @ fridge temp will get you close but never overcarb AS LONG AS U DONT SHAKE THE KEG! then shut off, purge, set to serving pressure and let it equalize for another 3-4 days (although its very drinkable @ 48hrs)...

I never shake the keg but am always carbed in 5 days max.

airlock bubbles aren't a good way to determine when fermentation is done. If I were in your situation, I would give it a good 2 weeks, check the gravity, if your not sure it's done give it a few more days and check again. When I'm not in a hurry, I'll let a beer ferment atleast 2 weeks up to 3 weeks for an ale. If it's a lager I let it go a month minimum.

3 weeks is a good time range for primary fermentation but since your kind of in a hurry it is totally feasable to get it kegged as soon as you hit your FG

Well, hey I am in control here :) I don't have to serve this beer. Don't want to serve a beer that is not ready, that's why I will buy another keg from our local brewpub to server just in case :)

Thanks for all the advice :) I think I know what to do.

Back