Cloves in Belgian Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey does anyone actually use real cloves in their belgians, besides the residual effects of belgian yeasts?

If so, how, how much, and when? * I love the clove taste*

Thanks

Some people do. I'd use 1, maybe 2 per gallon. They're very potent beasts, and especially if you are using a Belgian yeast which will have a spiciness to it anyway, you don't want to overdo it. Just try it out and see what fits your tastes. If I were you I'd err on the side of caution and put less than you think. A very clovey beer would be totally undrinkable for me.

why would you need to? the yeast can give it PLENTY of clove flavor. if you really want to try it, i would agree: try a very small amount the first time around.

Some people do. I'd use 1, maybe 2 per gallon. They're very potent beasts, and especially if you are using a Belgian yeast which will have a spiciness to it anyway, you don't want to overdo it. Just try it out and see what fits your tastes. If I were you I'd err on the side of caution and put less than you think. A very clovey beer would be totally undrinkable for me.

When you say one, do you really mean just one little clove guy? Ground up or what? Just seems like its not enough to do anything. But then again 1/4 tsp of paradise does plenty...

Yeah, just 1 little clove "pellet" per gallon. It doesn't seem like much but trust me on this one (have you ever accidentally bitten into one?). I wouldn't grind them up, but if you do, then I'd use probably half as much. They'll be even more potent if ground.

I put 5 whole cloves in a 2.5 Gallon batch of apfelwein. Also used a cinnamon stick. It was quite spicy for a couple months. Mellowed considerably since then, but 5 cloves in 2.5 G was too much.

Back