How to/need to sweeten??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
Hey All,

First post....

I made the following

1 gallon Apple Cranberry Juice (Trader Joe’s)
1 gallon Cherry Cider (Trader Joe’s)
1 gallon Fresh Pressed Apple Juice (TJ’s)
0.5 gallon TJ’s Organic Apple Juice
0.5 gallon TJ’s Black Raspberry Juice
0.5 gallon TJ’s Cranberry Raspberry Juice
0.5 gallon TJ’s Spicy Apple Cider
1 lb. 8 oz Honey
1/2 lb. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Acid Blend
1 tsp. Tannin
2.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
4 Campden Tablets (crushed)
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 package WYeast London ESB Ale
Started on 3/4 and transferred to secondary just now (12 days later). I took a taste and was fairly pleased. I can still make out many of the juice flavors (which I was aiming for) but it was VERY tart. I added about 2 lbs of thawed frozen raspberries to the carboy before transferring. Will this be enough to sweeten it a little? If not, what is the best way to do this and when?

Thanks for any input and I am really looking forward to any responses.

D

My apologies,

I should have read the back sweetening post first. So, it looks like Splenda at bottling will do the trick. Any suggestions on a ballpark amount for 5 gallons?
D

I haven't tried the Splenda yet so I can't speak for that but I've used a can of concentrate on the last couple batches I bottled. It carbs it nicely and you get some sweet apple taste back into the cider.

I bottled Apfelwein with Splenda last week. I used 1 tsp in each 750 ml bottle. I can say for sure that if you over do it with splenda, you'll wish you hadn't. Go easy, and taste as you go.

Nurmey,

Do you use 1 can per 5 gallons to carbonate?

Thanks for the reply
D

Crayfish said:
Nurmey,

Do you use 1 can per 5 gallons to carbonate?

Thanks for the reply
D

I used pop can (12 oz) size of shelf stable Juicy Juice apple concentrate. Mine was a 3 gallon batch and I was a little concerned that it had too much sugar for 3 gallons. The sugar numbers on the can added up to a little over 5 ounces but I don't know if the amount of sugar in the concentrate equals the same amount of dextrose. I wanted high carbonation but I was nervous about bombs. It carbed okay after one week but I keep it for two or three weeks and when it was just right I moved the batch to the basement. I've since done a second batch with the Juicy Juice and that carbed fine too with no bottle bombs.

I'm not sure but one can would probably be enough for 5 gallons. The trouble with using the concentrate is that you can't really be sure about how fermentable the sugars are, however, I plan on using it for the next batch too because I really like the flavor.

you want to find the right amount of splenda to use? take out 12 ounces of you cider, add the amount of splenda that you like to it but make sure you remember how much you added.
Now the math.
640oz in 5gallons
divided by 5 is
128 in 1gallon
Apx 11 bottles beer in 1 gallon its 10 2/3 bottles
so take the number of grams of splenda that you added to one bottle to get the taste you liked and multiply it by 10.66
Then take that gram total and multiply that by 5
hence.....the total number of grams of splenda to get the same taste that you had in the test bottle.
Oh and dont forget that all those grams add up to a little bit of added volume in your final calculation...I am not getting into that!!

Thanks for the input Nurmey.

I follow that, Arneba28. Do a little titration of the splenda and calculate back to figure out the total to add in.

Splenda is non fermentable, right?

Back