Loose Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashbrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bottled, capped my first brew. The capper was included in my kit. After capping all of the bottles, i was curious to how tight it was. When apllied enough pressure, the cap did move, (twist). I was concerned with this as i thought it was not suppose to give way by any means. I thought if it gave way by turning, that maybe my entire batch would go bad because of not proper sealing. I took 2 bottles to my HBS store where i bought everything so far. The owner said he had never tried to twist it off before and that he has had no problems before with it,with any customer. A couple customers left him a bottle of home brew to try, the caps on them did not move with pressure. He told me to bring in my capper tomorrow to replace it. I am still wondering if my bottled brew is still good or not. If it is ruined by a malfuncioned capper, then i think i should i have a refund or a free beer kit. The bottled are not leaking, so maybe it is still good? I hope so. Thanks.

if you only just bottled it and get a new capper tomorrow, go back over the caps with the new capper. This should crimp in the cap that little bit extra - you'll not have lost too much carbonation over a day.

If you are worried about it, lay a few bottles on their sides and see if any beer escapes - if it doesn't then the chances are that CO2 won't get out and oxygen won't get in

HTH

80/-

If you have the red wing-type capper check the bell shaped underside to see if it's misshapened, loose or tight. It screws into place (so lefty loosy, righty tighty).

Since your caps are too loose then unsrew your bell shape a turn or two, cap another bottle and test its seal. It should be more tight.

Let me know if this works for you.

I have an old bench capper that rarely put the caps on securely (you could twist alot of the caps, even pop the caps of with your thumb). A number of the bottles came out flat, but none of them went stale or got infected. Hope the replacement works for you, but don't worry about your beer, it'll be fine.

You're not using twistoff type bottles are you? Those are sometimes problematic.. but I have cautiously used them before with no problems when I ran short on bottles during a bottling session.

My experience has been this, if the beer doesn't come out when you turn the bottle on it's side then everything is sealed just fine.

Back