3 bbl system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks aubiecat ! pet carboys probably that will be easy but I don't want to use I'm a little worry about sanitation and off flavors don't want any problems, but glad you ask this is what I use to lift almost any thing to my basement with a help of to little carts no back breaking for me take a look !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1LbrAu4v0&feature=youtu.be

SAM_0464.jpg

Dude, that's awesome! How do you power it up?

thanks peter I use propane gas LP , also I can brew to batches apart or one batch of the same recipe that only take like 5 to 6 hours ! blichmann stuff very reliable !

That dumbwaiter is very cool. :mug:

very true but at the same time a 6 gallon carboy with 5.5 gallons of wort in it weighs about 55 lbs. I wouldn't want to shuffle 130 x 55 = 7000 lbs every brew day, even if it's only a few feet. God bless you santero for having the will to get the job done! The world needs its beer!

very true but at the same time a 6 gallon carboy with 5.5 gallons of wort in it weighs about 55 lbs. I wouldn't want to shuffle 130 x 55 = 7000 lbs every brew day, even if it's only a few feet. God bless you santero for having the will to get the job done! The world needs its beer!

thanks PLOMO !!we only use around 12 to 14 glass carboys per batch and that's more than enough ! we also rack in the basement for the same reason ! but I wish a can ferment a 130 GC at the same time !!

Santero, What type of burners do you use? I tried reading through the post but I cant seem to find what type of burners you used.

This is quite possibly one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my entire life. Sub'd. Keep up the good work mate! Also, how do you clean your carboys? With that volume I'm assuming you've found the most efficient way.

I know the glass carboys aren't hurting you since you're a supplier but DANG I would be looking for a bigger fermenter! Even for the short amount of time when you're using the carboys but before you get the 3bbl stainless conicals. My 40 gal plastic conicals were only $100 ea and I seem to remember 85 gal vessels weren't much more.
Awesome nano system by the way. I have a 1bbl in my basement, always fun!

It also seems like upgrading to a conical will make it much easier to pitch an appropriate and consistent amount of yeast. How are you handling yeast pitching right now? Do you just pitch by weight and divide the total amount of yeast by 14 or however many carboys you are using?

Santero, What type of burners do you use? I tried reading through the post but I cant seem to find what type of burners you used.

thanks big cat my burners and my regulator are high pressure LP made in mexico it only takes like 20 minutes to go from 140 F to 210 F 70 dlls each and regulator 100 dlls .

It also seems like upgrading to a conical will make it much easier to pitch an appropriate and consistent amount of yeast. How are you handling yeast pitching right now? Do you just pitch by weight and divide the total amount of yeast by 14 or however many carboys you are using?

thanks drummer Im on the process of growing yeast also we're doing a mini lab for storage and handle yeast and correct right now I use the yeast calculator and pitch the same amount of yeast on each glass carboy consistency is always the same never have any problems!!! cheers !

Great work! Thanks for sharing.

I'm confused about the 3 bbl naming however. 3 bbl = 31 x 3 = 93 US gallons.

Normally the size of a system is how much wort the system can make per batch (post boil amount).

With your 55 boil kettle you're probably looking at around 35-45 US gallons pre-boil. So you're probably making around 30-40 US gallons per batch? That would make it a 1 to 1.3 bbl system.

Kal

Great work! Thanks for sharing.

I'm confused about the 3 bbl naming however. 3 bbl = 31 x 3 = 93 US gallons.

Normally the size of a system is how much wort the system can make per batch (post boil amount).

With your 55 boil kettle you're probably looking at around 35-45 US gallons pre-boil. So you're probably making around 30-40 US gallons per batch? That would make it a 1 to 1.3 bbl system.

Kal

Kal, I think he is doing double 1.5 bbl and not a one shot 3bbl. If you look at the pictures in the beginning and the equipment being (2) 55 gal kettle blichmann.

Ah! You're right. I missed that. He's double boiling with 2 x 55 gallon kettles. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Kal

What an inspiration! Love it.

Gotta say, though, I make 10 gallon batches and dealing with two glass carboys is way more than I want to deal with, especially when I can add all my wort to a 60L Speidel tank. If I was going larger a SS conical with good temp control would be one of the first things on my list.

How long does it take all told once it's time to transfer out of the carboys? I'd worry more about O2 exposure and infection having to mess with each carboy and switch from transferring from one to another to another more than I'd worry about off flavors and infection from a plastic vessel. But if you aren't comfortable with any type of plastic I'd go SS.

I really hate glass. Gave all my glass carboys away to a new brewer free of charge.

Ah! You're right. I missed that. He's double boiling with 2 x 55 gallon kettles. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Kal

kay you are correct double boiling one hour apart !

I really like his system except for the glass carboys... but i bet it looks cool to see all of those carboys bubbling ...as for me i would sell the carboys and if i wanted small vessels i would use sanke kegs which one sanke is equal to three carboys and no worries of light damage to the brew or broken vessels ...

thanks for the link hoptimistic ! is your company thinking on building bigger fermenters ?

He is not the manufacture of these. They are made in my town, St. Louis, from recycled liquid oxygen canisters. They are very heavy walled and can handle over 200 PSI. Not that you would ever want to go that high. I have one and love it. You can pressure ferment and transfer directly into your keg with a jumper connection under pressure so that oxygen never comes into contact with your beer. They also have an internal chiller/heater coil for maintaining what ever temp you want. I have used mine from 5 to 20 gallons. I don't know if they can make them bigger, taller, but it would never hurt to ask. I bet they could weld 2 of the cylinder sections together for total volume of 38-40 gallons.

Just out of curiosity are you using two plate chillers in tandem ?

correct res ! summer time gets ugly that's why it's so easy to control de temperature flow and also very stable you don't need to worry the only bad thing is to clean and sanitize both only takes like 20 min to do it.

cheers !!!

I visit SD occasionaly, where can I find your beer?
Awesome set up! Thanks for the write up and pictures, very inspiring.[/QUOTE

thank you edwards !! Do you know that place on santa cruz call moes alley every two months a band from san diego plays on that venue (B SIDE PLAYERS ) next gig i'm going with band and I will take a few cases show up to taste some beers and also free tickets for the show ! I will let you know next trip to SC also I want to visit seven bridges cooperative I have few organic recipes on mind !

cheers !!

I'm still fairly new to brewing so sorry for the newbie question. How do you aerate that much wort when transferring to your carboys?

What a great setup! While reading the entire thread, a little voice in my head kept saying someday my friend, someday!

Where did you buy most of your equipment? I can't imagine a local homebrew store selling all of that.

Where did you buy most of your equipment? I can't imagine a local homebrew store selling all of that.

in line IPAndy and my LHBS ( hydrobrew in oceanside cal . ) I spend like a year getting all the equipment together and always looking for those specials and also de vendor list of the homebrewtalk .

in line IPAndy and my LHBS ( hydrobrew in oceanside cal . ) I spend like a year getting all the equipment together and always looking for those specials and also de vendor list of the homebrewtalk .

I would imagine there can be the occasional late night search on Craigslist as well. I got a freezer for $40 off there that my brother-in-law and I are converting into taps. I can only imagine what other brewing eqpt you could pawn off that site.

Back