My crazy idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirsty4cider

Reaction score
I was just goofing around when i came up with this idea. what if you made a watertight picture frame, with a tap and airlock. you'd even be able to see all the yeast working. in my picture I didn't label this, but there will be hidden head-space at the top behind the frame. same at the bottom for the yeast cake. this is more drinkable wall art than a practicable fermenter.

Picture0004 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Like an aquarium built into the wall but without the shame and guilt of consuming the inhabitants later on!!!

"You know you are addicted to brewing when...."

You make a "fermentation wall" in your living room?

Very creative. Show us pics of progress!

What sort of volume? Would be awesome made out of some oak. Don't worry about an airlock, just open ferment. And definatly attach a bar tap to is so when it slows down you can drink you art!

love the sea monkey thing. I'm not too worried about light exposure. I'm fine with cloudy cider. Matt- my design already has a tap on the side just above were the yeast cake would approximately settle. also, probably about 40 inches tall and 30 sideways and an inch thick. not sure how that math would add up. also, this would be strictly cider because racking to secondary would be difficult.

Awesome. It would look great with a cherry juice, the bubbles really stand out against the darker juices.

here I made a more accurate picture. not that I'm actually going to use a d-ring to secure the latch. That would look ridiculous.

frame.jpg

You know what actually...

You could put this all the way THROUGH the wall, and have your headspace/airlock/etc ABOVE the opening on the, say kitchen side. A flat window of cider would face the other (dining room?) side.

I suppose this would kind of be the modern alternative to those big wine-barrels-in-the-wall in oldschool pubs.

Subscribed--this just sound cool.

There's nothing saying that it would have to be permanently mounted into the wall. Have some kind of alcove...

actually.. make it a bit wider and set up a shelf under it. give the impression that it's sitting on the shelf..... though that would defeat the "picture on the wall" motif.

Latest posts

Back