Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic. You can kind of see the mold/spores on the right side of the left jar. Was thinking about punching it down just because it looks like it's really drying out on top.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401598406.422561.jpg

Pic. You can kind of see the mold/spores on the right side of the left jar. Was thinking about punching it down just because it looks like it's really drying out on top.
View attachment 203039

I pack mine full, never seen blackness, I don't think I would mix it in, mine are very dry looking on the top at harvest' wish I took a picture today but I do have a batch a couple days behind, remind me and I'll take a picture, done for the night, signing off.

Started a smal batch using the "medium grain" rice I found in the supermarket. Mixed it with RYR and some yeast that came in a two-ball packet (NOT the regular stuff...this is just something I picked up at the asian market awhile back.

View attachment 203039

I wouldn't mix it in either, when/if the alcohol is high enough, the mold would probably die, but for now you need the mold, so don't mix it

I wouldn't mix it in either, when/if the alcohol is high enough, the mold would probably die, but for now you need the mold, so don't mix it

Laziness took over and I did not mix it in. Was more worried about the top drying out and forming a plug that would prevent off gassing/suffocate the yeast, but that sounds like it's only been a real issue with larger batches.

Laziness took over and I did not mix it in. Was more worried about the top drying out and forming a plug that would prevent off gassing/suffocate the yeast, but that sounds like it's only been a real issue with larger batches.

Nice, laziness took me over too. I was supposed to harvest yesterday, but now I have to wait until the weekend. I think it'll be ok though, my batch is still bubbling, but I suspect this still be a very dry and potent one

Also have 10 packs of ARL on the way from a link that was posted a few pages back. 360videoshopping.com I think. Free shipping too.

I better like this stuff...

This is a long shot but was wondering if anyone had a link or post number or anything to the post way back in this thread somewhere where someone had made some nice bottle labels for the rice wine. I hate the thought of having to go back through this whole thread lol, but would be nice to find and put some labels on a few of my bottles.

This is a long shot but was wondering if anyone had a link or post number or anything to the post way back in this thread somewhere where someone had made some nice bottle labels for the rice wine. I hate the thought of having to go back through this whole thread lol, but would be nice to find and put some labels on a few of my bottles.

Sorry buddy, I fished around for a while but couldn't find it. Someone here did a really cool type of label. It was Chinese lettering printed on resume paper, then cut in a crinkled edge patern, then "baked" in an oven for a while at a low temp to give it an old look. Very well done.

I had a few people over for a Fathers Day bbq and served a ton of this rice wine. Every one loved it. Ended up giving away a few bottles.

How many pounds of rice did you cook to make "tons?" I have 2 1/2 cups (dry) rice going right now. At two weeks in, looks like I will get about 2 cups wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How many pounds of rice did you cook to make "tons?" I have 2 1/2 cups (dry) rice going right now. At two weeks in, looks like I will get about 2 cups wine.

Based on my experience you should get around 2- 2 1/2 cups of rice wine from that much rice. Squeeze the hell out of the lees!

Based on my experience you should get around 2- 2 1/2 cups of rice wine from that much rice. Squeeze the hell out of the lees!

Depends if you like clear or cloudy, I'll let most of the liquid run off to one container and let that separate then collect the rest and then squeeze the lees for quick desposal;)

I had tons of it due to all the batches I make. I drink it cloudy and squeeze every drop out of each batch. Usually have a gallon or more in stock at any time.

How large of batches do you make? I am 2 weeks into a test batch. If we like it, I'll go up to a 1 gallon glass jar.

You use two or three yeast balls for the 5 1/2 cups?
I used one for my 2 1/2 cup trial.

Mostly using three, still playing around.
Just harvested a batch, used 3 balls, yielded short of 2 quarts before doing any squeezing, maybe another 1/2 to 3/4 from the lees.
Having a little now, 3balls and 2 grams of RYR, cleared, the way I prefer, I'm hooked!

Don't know why I getting small pictures now??? click on it and it enlarges.

IMG_3463.jpg

7 cups uncooked Thai jasmine rice, cooked in rice cooker and jammed in fit into a gallon glass jar for me. Down to 2/3 to 1/2 that volume within 3-4 days at most. I've also done 4 cups uncooked into a 1/2 gallon jar. Packing in the cooked rice and yeast balls or leaving space hasn't made any noticeable difference for me.

How large of batches do you make? I am 2 weeks into a test batch. If we like it, I'll go up to a 1 gallon glass jar.

I usually cook 4 or 5 cups of dry rice and use 2 or 3 yeast balls. Thing is, I make a batch every few weeks and I make more than I drink so I always have some in stock.

Did another batch with 3 cups of Thai Jasmine rice, 1 cup of sushi rice, 5 tsp of white sugar, 2 ounces of sliced ginger root and 1/2 pack of ARL. Can't wait to see how this comes out!

Did another batch with 3 cups of Thai Jasmine rice, 1 cup of sushi rice, 5 tsp of white sugar, 2 ounces of sliced ginger root and 1/2 pack of ARL. Can't wait to see how this comes out!

Wouldn't infusing the rice wine with ginger after fermentation and removing the lees be easier/better? Why the sugar?

What's ARL?

ARL is another form of yeast for making this wine. It's short for Angel Rice Leaven. It comes in small foil packets (like other brewing yeasts) and it's a much cleaner version of rice wine yeast. Same results just less chance of any other bugs coming with the yeast.

Excellent clean wine and also makes for a real tasty sweet rice if eaten 3 days after fermenting.

Wouldn't infusing the rice wine with ginger after fermentation and removing the lees be easier/better? Why the sugar?

I really wasn't sure about ginger being added during or after fermenting. I'll try both. :)

I've added a small amount of sugar before. It tends to both increase the ABV and smooth out the flavor. I may be wrong but, I think it gives the ARL something to munch on while the rice is being broken down. Similar to step feeding and increase the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

ARL is another form of yeast for making this wine. It's short for Angel Rice Leaven. It comes in small foil packets (like other brewing yeasts) and it's a much cleaner version of rice wine yeast. Same results just less chance of any other bugs coming with the yeast.

Excellent clean wine and also makes for a real tasty sweet rice if eaten 3 days after fermenting.

Looking forward to trying a batch with the ARL next. I harvested half of my first batch (jasmine rice, Heng Lung yeast balls) last weekend (at 3 weeks) and will get the other half this weekend (4 weeks) to see how the extra week impacts the wine. Not completely sold on the initial harvest though, definitely a mixer and not that enjoyable as a standalone drink for me right now. Pasteurized it and letting it settle out in the fridge to see how age and clarity impacts it too though. Not giving up!

Also looking forward to trying my RYR/Heng Lung batch in a couple weeks.

Cleaner? Bah!

Hi

I've been reading through this thread with interest, and decided to sign up in order to ask a couple of questions. I'm "only" 85 pages in, so its probably covered somewhere further in the thread.

If this isnt Sake, then what is it? If it doesnt fit into any style exacly, then whats it closest to? Huangjiu? Bonus quesion, if so, how do you pronounce that lol

did anyone come up with a cheap and easyish way to filter the wine? I imagine its difficult due to just how much suspended solids apear to be in it. I'm not aiming for crystal clear (but would be cool!) but a little clearer would look better to my eyes.

Thats all the questions I have :) Hoping to get this going in a week or so, but the place I know I can get the balls is about an hour and a half round trip, and I got stuff to do on my next few days off :(

Finished about 40 oz. of final liquid from about 6 cups of cooked rice. (Started as two separate batches, then merged together... It was a bit of a confusing start...)

Clean, sweet, a little milky in texture... somewhat harsh though (compared to the mead I usually make).

Any suggestions for favorite mixers to combat the astringency?

I've tried sweet tea (meh, to harsh), fresh blackberries (pretty good), and maraschino cherries (kinda weird).

Hi

I've been reading through this thread with interest, and decided to sign up in order to ask a couple of questions. I'm "only" 85 pages in, so its probably covered somewhere further in the thread.

If this isnt Sake, then what is it? If it doesnt fit into any style exacly, then whats it closest to? Huangjiu? Bonus quesion, if so, how do you pronounce that lol

did anyone come up with a cheap and easyish way to filter the wine? I imagine its difficult due to just how much suspended solids apear to be in it. I'm not aiming for crystal clear (but would be cool!) but a little clearer would look better to my eyes.

Thats all the questions I have :) Hoping to get this going in a week or so, but the place I know I can get the balls is about an hour and a half round trip, and I got stuff to do on my next few days off :(

Hey there. Welcome to the craziness of this "wine". It sure isn't Sake but it tastes great no matter what you call or name it.

I'm not one for filtering it but, after harvesting it, place it in the fridge for a day or two and the solids will drop to the bottom leaving a very clear top portion.

As for yeast balls and ARL, I'll put a shameless plug out there and say that, if you go to eBay and search "dried Yeast Balls" you'll see my listings.

Either way, get your hands on this stuff. Cheap and easy wine that's fascinating to make.

Finished about 40 oz. of final liquid from about 6 cups of cooked rice. (Started as two separate batches, then merged together... It was a bit of a confusing start...)

Clean, sweet, a little milky in texture... somewhat harsh though (compared to the mead I usually make).

Any suggestions for favorite mixers to combat the astringency?

I've tried sweet tea (meh, to harsh), fresh blackberries (pretty good), and maraschino cherries (kinda weird).

Favorite mixers are fruit juice. Blueberry and fresh pressed blackberries are my favorite.

My rice wine smells and tastes like cream cheese frosting.
I'm not sure what I did, or where I went wrong. It's not bad, but it's really sweet and doesn't seem to have that much alcohol.

It's so interesting the myriad flavors that come out of tweaking this recipe. Already planning my next batch.

My rice wine smells and tastes like cream cheese frosting.
I'm not sure what I did, or where I went wrong. It's not bad, but it's really sweet and doesn't seem to have that much alcohol.

It's so interesting the myriad flavors that come out of tweaking this recipe. Already planning my next batch.

Need some detail. Process, rice and yeast type, time fermented, etc

Back