New to wine, when to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanthefreak

Reaction score
Ok so im making 3 gallons strawberry wine, 1 gallon blueberry and 1 gallon banana, just transfered the gallon wines to first glass jug, just wondering, i didnt take a started sugar reading, so how do i know when i should bottle, should i just wait a month, rack, wait a month, rack and bottle or do you bottle with some sugar left, kill yeast then bottle, or should i just ferment to dry then backsweeten? How much of the flavor will i lose if i go to dry

You'll be fine. Ever month or so just rack it into a new carboy. When the wine is clear then you can stabilize and back sweeten and finally bottle. But not before it's clear and stabilized.

Letting ferment till dry won't affect anything except the alcohol level. As you can always back sweeten

You never want to bottle until the wine is clear and no longer dropping sediment. Many people fail to give wine time to settle after stabilizing with k-meta and sorbate and backsweetening. The wine will usually drop sediment after stabilization plus backsweetening. I always rack at least one more time after that step and then bottle. I find it is typically a year before I even bottle the majority of mine.

Use a hydrometer to tell if it's done fermenting. Then you can stabalize and sweeten if you want, then bottle.

Back