Advice on this Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beani5003

Reaction score
I know this shoult most likely go in the partial mash section, but its a noob question so a thought i would post it here.
i just read a guide that said to make a wort by the malt extract, dry or liquid, along with the grains and the hops, into a pan along with 6 or 7 pints of water, bring to the boil, leave at boil for half an hour, then strain the wort into a fermenter and top up with water to correct volume, then pitch yeast etc.
any thoughts on this process? would it be a viable way of making a wort? if it isn't, what would be?
just find it hard to beleave that it would be that simple compared to an all grain mash lmao

I'd wait untill the water was boiling before you add the hops and malt extract, grains are fine anytime. Also in genral 60 min boil is used because longer boiling time extracts more bitterness from the hops, you could get away with 30min but I would strongly reccomend a 60 min boil.

If that is a quote from your instructions then you need to take a little bit of time to read a few more sources. They are really doing you a disservice with that.

If this is too simplistic, sorry, but 1st post left me unsure.

When I do an extract batch (with steeping grains) it goes something like this.
Fill pot with as close to 3 gals as will fit.
Put the steeping grains in a bag.
Slowly bring the water up to 160 degrees (at least 30 mins)
Remove the grain bag and letting the drippings run back in the pot - I do not squeeze the bag, but opions vary.
Add 3 more gallons of water - or as much as you can leaving room for it to boil without running over.
Add or DME or LME - feel free to do late DME addtions.
Add hops based on hopping plan.
Boil for as long as you need to meet your hop plan and volume requirements.

ok?

that was condensed down into my words but that was the basic jist of it, it wasn't a reciepe, I was just looking at how i could do the process itself. i'm much better at experimenting than following a reciepe. though pd230soi's (thanks by the way) way of doing it was pretty much how they were saying to do it.
now the only problem is finding a pot big enough that i can use on my cooker, not to keen on using a butane burner, any suggestion?

Back