Maibock Hop Aroma/Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Folks,

I can't seem to get the floral or bitterness out of my Maibocks that should be evident for the style. I am brewing the style using several different recipies (american style using american grains and hops /german style using german grains and hops, etc...) and am always topping out the IBUs within that defined in the BJCP manual for that style. Full long boils should assure good isomerisation.

I just gotta feel that my malt bombs are overpowering my heavy hop hand.

However - I can't figure out the balance. Any hints?

This is a malt centered beer. The hops are only there to provide balance to the malt. Without seeing your recipe(s) there is no way to give you a specific answer.

Guess you gotta take the Tasty philosophy - if the beer has a recipe issue (not enough hoppiness), then you have to change the recipe (add more hops).

:p

Maibocks have much more hop presence then regular bock styles.

I'm at the very top of the ibu scale for this style. I am finding that regardless of the actual recipe, I don't get the same hoppiness as I seem to get from commercial examples.

I've only tried a couple of Maibock-ish beers, SN Glissade and GB Blonde Bock. Both are admittedly American interpretations, and I definitely prefer the (hoppier) Sierra version, but I can't help but wonder what you're specifically trying to replicate (because it sounds fantastic...).

I am going to try and get an example from the store this evening to share. I'll see if any are in but they are not generally in season.

Maibocks have much more hop presence then regular bock styles.

I'm at the very top of the ibu scale for this style. I am finding that regardless of the actual recipe, I don't get the same hoppiness as I seem to get from commercial examples.

Yes, they are more bitter than a standard or dopplebock but they are not hoppy beers in the sense of a pale ale, for instance. The IBUs for this beer would run 25-40% of the OG number and it would be all early additions. There is none or very little hop aroma. Again, you need to provide the recipes and explain exactly what you are looking for. The hop bitterness should be noticeable along with some background flavor but this is still a beer where the malt is the star of the show. The Hellesbock I have on tap right now is OG 1.072 and the IBUs are about 38. It is more bitter as well as higher gravity than Spaten, a fairly well-distributed German commercial version.

American breweries always rape German styles, I saw in a magazine once that Dead Guy Ale was listed as a Maibock. You should have hardly any, if any, hop character in a Maibock or you should change the name of your brew IMO.

In my German brews I get that unique, pretty-smelling floral quality (believe it or not) with a bittering addition only. It's the leftover sweetness of the German pilsner malt combining with that minimal hopping that gets it to the bright floral zone. In my experience using extra hops in German styles makes them smell/taste more like hops and I don't get the delicate floral character I'm looking for... just a more intense, piney version. I get a Helles that tastes like Kona Brewing's Longboard lager, rather than Weihenstephan. If I were you I'd try using only German hops for bittering, and go to the middle IBU's of the BJCP guide, and then shut down the hops for the next 60 minutes. Hope it helps!

Back