OR/WA Group Brew v3.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went about 730 or so....got a seat around 745..man that place always packs em in during their festivals...I only had one Hair of the Dog beer, Bob, which was excellent. I probably should have tried a couple more from them. Had a Cantillon Geuze, and then had a Full Sail Bourbon Barrel Porter (it was on cask...and I have a weakness for cask conditioned beers).

Finally, someone has asked and I get to go pull a sample....

OK, there is some nice funk on the top layer as expected. Can't see a whole lot, what with a small hole and it being filled just about as much as it can be. It's sitting at about 1.012 right now.

Color is pretty nice looking dark brown with a little red tint to it. Honestly thought it was going to be a bit darker, but I like it. There is some earthy/horse blanket in the nose as should be expected. Great body to this beer. I feel like the first batch was a little thin, this one seems to have improved. And I think I'm liking the flavor on this one better too. A little more mellow. Not so tart and in your face, but it's there up front. And what I really like is the roasted malts come through in the end. They allow the sour/tart to hit you first, but then come back and hit you at the end asking you to come back for more. I have an issue with some sours being only sour and having to choke them down. This one keeps begging me to come back for more.

Thanks for going through the hardship of checking ;-) Good to hear the beer is turning out well.

Hey Kilted,

I just realized it's been awhile so I thought I'd see how this batch is coming along and if you have a date in mind to drain and possibly re-fill the barrel.

Ya know, I was thinking about the batch the other day too. Definitely in for helping re-fill!

I haven't done a darn thing with this bad boy since February, but I can take one for the team and pull another small sample. My thoughts on this one is to brew up the base beer again and then blend. I still have a TON of the first version and I'm sorry to say I just can't get into it. I think blending will help.

As for draining I was thinking an October date again. Giving it a good year to be int he barrel. No thought on refilling...and not sure I'm game for that. If anyone else wants to take the barrel I'm more than happy to help get it out of the basement.

I haven't done a darn thing with this bad boy since February, but I can take one for the team and pull another small sample. My thoughts on this one is to brew up the base beer again and then blend. I still have a TON of the first version and I'm sorry to say I just can't get into it. I think blending will help.

As for draining I was thinking an October date again. Giving it a good year to be int he barrel. No thought on refilling...and not sure I'm game for that. If anyone else wants to take the barrel I'm more than happy to help get it out of the basement.

Cool. Let us know how it's changed. And yeah, the previous beer has an interesting popcorn character that I'm not entirely digging. But blending can pull that down and let other things come through. Really, for me though, it needs much more tartness.

As for the barrel, I've got a barrel rack set up (this link may or may not work: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=49437563&id=10716036&ref=album) and could fit another barrel on there if there are no other takers. But if someone else can use it, by all means, go for it.

Just pulled a sample and going back over the notes from the last taste. The color on this is really amazing to me. In certain light I swear it has a rich cherry red, in others just a dark brown. But really nice.

The roast has backed off a bit but still says hello on the finish. There is a nice tartness (not sour, but tart) on the front end. Maybe a little lemony. But there's also a bite to it that doesn't feels a little off. I think that's what is wanting me to blend this with something. Or maybe there's a battle between the roasted malts and the bugs? Jury is still out, but I am enjoying this one better than the first batch.

Just pulled a sample and going back over the notes from the last taste. The color on this is really amazing to me. In certain light I swear it has a rich cherry red, in others just a dark brown. But really nice.

The roast has backed off a bit but still says hello on the finish. There is a nice tartness (not sour, but tart) on the front end. Maybe a little lemony. But there's also a bite to it that doesn't feels a little off. I think that's what is wanting me to blend this with something. Or maybe there's a battle between the roasted malts and the bugs? Jury is still out, but I am enjoying this one better than the first batch.

It sounds very interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it.

I'm brand new to brewing, so I don't think I'm ready for this yet. Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if there were any local homebrew clubs/groups around that anyone is a member of that would be willing to have a new brewer join the ranks. I've only done 3 batches of extract brew so far, but I'm hooked. I'm interested in going to the next step with all-grain brewing, but want to watch someone else do it a time or two before buying all the equipment and attempting myself. Plus, it would be nice to meet some fellow homebrewers. I'm in Hillsboro, OR. Shoot me a PM if you know can help me out. Sorry to be :off:. :mug:

Ah crap. Almost forgot about this in the hussle and bustle of the move. I'm moving in 10 days - wont have time to run out there for more than a couple minutes even if pulling the beer early was a possibility. Ideas? I should be back in Oregon to visit within a year but who knows...

Should I drop off a bottle or a keg or a carboy or? I'll be in the general area, I'll just have to do a crapload of stuff. Moving on short notice sucks but gotta do what ya gotta do.

I am. Leaving on Monday. Should be in the PDX area this weekend but might not be depending on packing, etc. Not sure the best way to go about this...

Let's try and get a group vote here. Curtis, I believe you did 5 gallons. Anyone have any issue with pulling 5 gallons out of the barrel now? Maybe we move up the emptying party to the next few weeks?

I personally have no issue with pulling 5 gallons now.

Any objections fellas? Yeah, 5 gallons.

Brian, I'm not sure if I will personally be up there or if it'll be just my wife. Would it be kosher to send her there with a keg and would you be willing to fill it with the appropriate amount of goods? Saturday will be a no go, Sunday afternoon work for ya?

Alright guys. Let's nail down a date to empty the barrel. Oct. is a busy month for me and I'm pretty much limited to October 23rd at this point. Does that work for everyone?

I haven't been on the forums for a few weeks due to a busy stretch.

Curtis, I wish you luck on your trip to Texas.

Brian, let me know when you want to empty the barrel and what you want to do with it after that. I'm heading down this weekend for a quick trip and the weekend of the 22nd to head to the coast. I probably won't be back until the Holiday Ale Festival in early December. Or if you want to let it sit awhile longer, I'm fine with that too. No rush.

Wow. That was oddly corresponding timing. I'm going to be out at the coast on the 23rd but could come by that Thursday night, Friday morning, or Sunday afternoon. Or I can just drop off some kegs and pick them up on the way back through if those times don't work.

That was wacky....wow....That Thursday night would actually work fine for me too. And I don't mean to rush anyone either. I just need to do some rearranging in the basement and it's hard to move a full barrel without a lift! :) We're having some water issues down there and need to have some work done or put in more shelving to get things off the floor. Barrel is still up for grabs if anyone wants to take it on.

How's Thursday the 21st looking? I am planning on coming down that afternoon and will be free that night or else Sunday on the way back through. Just let me know what works, or if you just want me to drop off some kegs on Thursday and pick them up on Sunday. I really don't need the barrel but I'd hate to see it go to waste. Anyway, see you guys in a couple weeks.

I almost forgot about this! I have 5 gallons (and a carboy with a milk crate!) still down there. Without having gone through the last bit of the thread are you getting ready to keg? Is there anything I can do to help out?

Thursday is the better of the two days for me. I have a cyclo-cross race Sunday morning, and like to stick around for the other races. That goes till about 3 or 4pm. I get home from work around 4:30 or so. Anytime after that works.

gplutt-I've got your carboy and crate. We are indeed trying to plan emptying the barrel. Looking at the weekend of the 22nd/23rd. Does that work for you? or maybe you and explosive can work something out to get you your gear and your portion of the batch without making a special trip down here. Not my place to say, but a suggestion.

That weekend won't work for me unfortunately. I'll see if I can get with Explosive and work something out; sounds like he's going to be down there anyways.

Looks to be only two others that I have not heard back from. Chester (last activity was in August)...I shoot him a PM. And EvilTOJ. He's in and out, but I'll PM him too.

I'm coming down Thursday afternoon or evening depending when I can get out of work and on the road. Gplutt, I haven't heard back from you but I'm planning on bringing an extra keg for your share and we can just swap the beer out later unless you want to get a keg to me before Thursday.

For that night, what time is good for you guys? Assuming I can get down early, a friend of mine wants to hit happy hour and catch the Ducks game. Maybe I can meet up with him, watch the first half, then get over around 7:30 or 8. Or if you guys want to knock it out earlier, I might be able to get there around 4 or 5 and meet up with my friend later. Just let me know what works for you.

I think you're the only one coming over on Thursday (correct me if I'm wrong here). But I get home around 4:30 so anytime after that is fine with me.

Yeah I have no idea when everyone else is shooting for but I'll be by tomorrow night. I'm still not sure when we'll be able to get out of town but I can try to give you a heads up when we get on the road. I'm guessing I'll be over around 7 or so.

fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu I completely forgot! And my phone alert didn't go off for some reason. I hope there's still some left for me.

Hey guys. I hope the rest of the transfers went well. Brian thanks again for putting this together. Anytime you're up north, just give me a heads up and I'll buy you a beer or have you over to sample some of my cellared beers.

Gplutt, I have five gallons for you along with your carboy and milk crate. Just let me know when you want to grab them.

Back