Diabetes and Beer, Friends?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
Yo all. I am a type 1 diabetic, I am insulin dependent (using a pump), and I love beer and brewing. Was diagnosed at age 23, and got into brewing about age 25. I am now 30. I am totally in love with brewing/studying/drinking great beer. I compete with my beers very often, and I take everything about this hobby very seriously. I've brewed over 200 gallons this year so far and I'm still accelerating.
As far as health concerns, I find that while I keep myself in top physical shape, I find very little problem with drinking my own beer, or most others.

I guess I just wanted to see how many are here and like me: diabetic. If so, is there anything to you do especially to address your health issue? Like severe drinking limitations, or special low-carb recipes, etc. I just make whichever beer I want, although I can't sit and drink a couple thick chewy beers without compensating with at least a bit of insulin.

Anyway, I'm totally happy with how things are going and at this point I'm not feeling any real disadvantage.

Cheers to all, especially to you insulin-dependents :)

Holler back please if you have a similar situation or know someone who does

Hey Budzu, your not alone. I'm type 2 because I'm lazy but my wife and son (18 now) are both type 1 and pumpers as well.
Carb counting is easy but as you drink alcohol it holds in the liver and if you have one beer with X carbs, you cannot drink 10 and have 10 times X for the same carbs. It'll make you bottom out.
My wife like to drink beer and every once in a while she will have too many and I usually have to feed her in the middle of the night.

My dad is type 1 also and not sure if he compensates with extra insulin ever but I believe he generally just drinks less to make up for it. gl!

My wife is type 1 for 26 years now and has been on the pump for the last 7 years or so. She doesn't drink though. It's a shame she doesn't drive either or I'd have a built-in designated driver!

Hey
I am the father of 3 teenage daughters, all have Type 1 Diabetes. The 2 oldest are on the pump, my baby uses syringes. The oldest just started college and she likes to have a couple of beers every now and again, but she's pretty good about monitoring her blood when doing so.

chronic high BS and alcohol consumption increases your risk for secondary complications to DM...hypertension/retinopathy/neuropathy.

Back