bought grain...forgot to crush.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So I bought some Carapils for steeping in my next brew but forgot to ask for it crushed.

any good DIY ways of crushing? I'll only be using .5lbs in the recipe. Thinking maybe a wooden roller over it several times while it's in a ziploc bag?...or..

...how about one good spin in a blender?

also...got a wyeast smack pack...do I store that in the fridge?

Put it in a cookie sheet that has a lip and crush with a rolling pin. You will do fine. Store the wyeast in the fridge till brew day, then follow directions.

1) Get ziploc bag.
2) Get rolling pin / hammer / big blunt object.
3) BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM
4) ???
5) Profit!

also yes, keep the yeast in the fridge until you smack it (6-12 hours before pitching).

Not sure about the grain..

But yes, store the smack pack in the fridge until you're ready to whack it. After you break the inner pouch, leave it out while the yeasties grow.

You're not the only one today, evidently

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-crystal-chocolate-malts-steeped-whole-130206/

Look there for our suggestions...

Yes, store your yeast in the fridge until you get closer to brew day, then a couple days before smack it in the morning. Then when you get home make a starter for it and open the pack and add it to the starter...then on brew day you will have plenty of yeast.

No to the blender, yes to a rolling pin. A half pound isn't too bad, you can do that. Might want to look into a brown paper bag instead of ziplock if you can, the plastic might break. As for the smack pack, treat it like steak. You want the yeast to be at about room temp or slightly cooler before smacking/pitching (or grilling a steak). Until then, keep it in the fridge.

I brewed my 2nd batch yesterday and had to crush a pound of grain myself. I used a wooden rolling pin to do it. It took me longer to do it than to brew the beer. I won't be making that newbie mistake again.

I once crushed 3lbs of grain with a rolling pin. I will not be doing that again. Utter punishment. I have since built the pasta maker grainmill on the DIY thread. Check it out, it rocks.:rockin:

To punish yourself you should crush each grain by hand using needle nose pliers.... You won't forget next time unless your too busy laughing at yourself in the shop...

+1060 on the yeast suggestions above...

Your first post had all the answers.
If it does not work may I recommend using your head to bang the ziplock bag holding the grains until they are properly crushed.
It will teach you never to forget to crush them again. :)
--
Edit: man jtrainer beat me to it.

lol thanks.

I need to brew this weekend but I think I'll bite the bullet and find a mill after this weekend.. Unless I find some deal while out and about today. I'll need it eventually when I go AG anyway.

Latest posts

Back