Sweet mead yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugenBrau

Reaction score
Has anyone used Wyeat 4184 for Cider. It is a sweet mead yeast which is suppose to finish out with 3-4 % residual sugar. Has anyone who is looking for a sweeter cider had any luck with this or does it ferment all the way out when making cider? Just a thought

I used this in a Peach/Apple cider of mine, and I'd have to say it did end up pretty dry still, not like bone, but off-dry, it worked out well, but next time I'll use an ale yeast like nottingham instead. Another thing about is that the sweet mead yeast doesn't fllocuate worth a darn, it stayed cloudy for bloody ever.

true, it does leave a pretty cloudy cider. however, the sweet mead yeast is awesome for cider, leaving a lot of the sweet appley flavor behind. mine didnt finish dry, it finished at 1.010. i highly recommend it.

I guess I'll have to experiment and compare it to safale SO 4. Don't have much time left. The cider mill started their lst pressing today!

I guess I'll have to experiment and compare it to safale SO 4. Don't have much time left. The cider mill started their lst pressing today!

I have used WL sweetmead on my lest batch. It finished out dry FG around 1.000 not much difference between that and using their Champagne yeast.

The 4184 is good if you can keep it from drying out. It ferments a little faster than S04. Last year I did a gallon of it, crashed at 1.010 and it was quite good. This year I did a keg batch. It dropped from 1.060 to 1.006 in 13 days. At that point it was very good but I wasnt able to cold crash it until the next day. That was a mistake because by that time it was 1.002 and a lot dryer. It also doesnt seem to crash as well as the S04 - it stayed stable for a while, but then dropped to 1.000 and currently tastes pretty raw. I'm hoping it will improve with age

Back