Wort Chilling. Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
I haven't invested in a wort chiller yet...I have a chest freezer though...So, should I put the wort in there to drop it down a little quicker or just not bother?
Thanks

I don't see why it wouldn't work, the more stuff you had in the freezer the better.

Make sure to insulate it well though, wouldn't want anything hot coming in contact with the freezer. Maybe submerge it in a bucket of water or glycol that's been chilling for a while, rather than just drop it in.

I'd be careful if you have a lot of food in the freezer, it will probably melt. The freezer probably won't be able to keep cold for very long because 5 gallons of wort is a lot of thermal mass.

I would knock off a lot of heat in an ice bath or bathtub full of water first, then maybe put it in the freezer if you feel you need to.

You would be better off with a good ice bath. Water is denser than air. Therefore, it is a better conductor of heat. If you have an ice bath that is cold enough, it will cool wort much faster than dropping it in a freezer.

I guess ice bath + freezer wouldn't hurt though.

You would be better off with a good ice bath. Water is denser than air. Therefore, it is a better conductor of heat. If you have an ice bath that is cold enough, it will cool wort much faster than dropping it in a freezer.

I guess ice bath + freezer wouldn't hurt though.

The water bath in the freezer would add a lot of thermal mass too, which would help out the relatively weak freezer compressor.

Someone on here (I think it was brewpastor) chills down a whole freezer full of glycol and then uses that, should get your temps down right quick as long as the flow is good (immersion would be nice but not needed).

small tip for partial boil.....i take the rest of my spring water jugs and put them in the freezer when i start the brewing process. by the time im ready to make the move to fermenter i just pour the icy cold water into the wort and it cools it down significantly. but i just made an investment on a wort chiller and i have no need to do that anymore.

Back