Wyeast 4th quarter private collection = English Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
Ye Olde English Ale
As far back as 55 BC, Northern Europeans were enjoying ale as an integral part of their diet, and as a significant source of commerce. When hops were introduced in the 15th century, the hopped ale was called beer. The popularity of beer continued to increase, and beer became a mainstay of the European’s diet and economy.
Today, traditional English Ales are enjoyed around the world. The three yeast strains we are offering this quarter are particularly suited for the production of cask conditioned beers, which are the crown jewels of traditional English Ales. Wyeast 1026 PC British Cask Ale produces a nice malt profile and finishes crisp and slightly tart. Wyeast 1469 PC West Yorkshire Ale has a full, chewy malt character with a dry and balanced finish. Wyeast 1768 PC English Special Bitter exhibits a mild malt profile with a neutral finish.

Wyeast 1026 PC British Cask Ale
A great yeast choice for any cask conditioned British Ale and one that is especially well suited for IPA’s and Australian ales. Produces a nice malt profile and finishes crisp & slightly tart. Low to moderate fruit ester producer that clears well without filtration.

Attenuation 74-77%
Alc. Tolerance 9%
Flocculation medium/hIgh
Temperature Range 63-72°F (17-22°C)
Wyeast 1469 PC West Yorkshire Ale
This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Attenuation 67-71%
Alc. Tolerance 9%
Flocculation high
Temperature Range 64-72°F (18-22°C)

Wyeast 1768 PC English Special Bitter
A great yeast for malt predominate ales. Produces light fruit and ethanol aromas along with soft, nutty flavors. Exhibits a mild malt profile with a neutral finish. Bright beers are easily achieved without any filtration. It is similar to our 1968 London ESB Ale but slightly less flocculent.

Attenuation 78-72%
Alc. Tolerance 9%
Flocculation high
Temperature Range 64-72°F (18-22°C)

I will be using the 1768 in a coffee stout.
What I am wondering is what would be a good wort to throw on top of the yeast after I have racked to secondary.

Any good idears?

Just this Wednesday I racked a Best Bitter using the 1768 to a secondary and plan an ESB from the harvested yeast within a couple of weeks. Try to remember to report back results here. Sample tasting was positive.

Back