Brewing a Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMonster

Reaction score
I'm going to be making this tomorrow. I had to make due with the type of hops but any help on the schedule would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions? Different yeast maybe? Any additives?

Maelstrom Maibock

9# German Pils LME
1# Munich Malt
.5# Carapils Malt

1oz Sterling Pellets (6.0%) @ 60 min
1oz Perle Pellets (8.0%) @ 30 min
1oz Perle Pellets (8.0%) @ 10 min

SAFLAGER S-23 Lager Yeast

Thanks much.

I've never used that yeast, but that might be pretty hoppy for a maibock. I would nix the 30 and 10 minute additions and maybe add one 20 minute addition. That's just me though.

SeaMonster said:
Makes sense. You think maybe 3/4 oz @ 60 and 1oz @20?

I would probably do 1 oz. @ 60 minutes and 1/2-1 oz. @ 20 minutes - Maibocks are on the higher end gravity wise, so you'll want some good balance for that. I didn't put those additions into a program to figure IBUs, but when I did my Maibock I did one 0.6 oz. addition of 13.1% Magnum at 60 minutes. It looks like your additions should probably end up about the same IBU-wise.

Personally, I'd have a little bit more Munich in there, but unless you're partially mashing, that's kinda tough to do (Munich really does need to be mashed, not just steeped). Alternatively, you can get a Munich liquid extract. Maibocks are often closer to ~2/3 Pils, 1/3 Munich.

I'd drop all hop additions except for the bittering addition.

the_bird said:
Personally, I'd have a little bit more Munich in there, but unless you're partially mashing, that's kinda tough to do (Munich really does need to be mashed, not just steeped). Alternatively, you can get a Munich liquid extract. Maibocks are often closer to ~2/3 Pils, 1/3 Munich.

I'd drop all hop additions except for the bittering addition.

I was thinking the same thing until I realized it's a PM. I've never used the Munich liquid extract, but I hear it works great. I did 30% Munich in mine.

I'd definitely be steeping so something along the lines of...

6# German Pils LME
3# Munich Malt LME

.5# Carapils (steeped)

1oz Perle (8.0%) @ 60min.

That's it?

Some hop flavor is ok in Maibocks, so you have to see for yourself.

I concur with the Pilsner/Munich. This will be nice. Make sure you pitch enough yeast and try to ferment below 50 *F. Bocks are notorious for creating higher alcohols but you don't want them as this makes the beer taste less smooth.

Kai

I just transferred my Maibock to the corny to lager tonight. I used the Wyeast VSS Hella-Bock yeast - so far it tastes awesome.

It seems my LHBS doesn't carry Munich Malt Extract. Would it go by a different name? A certain brand, perhaps?

Well, you can order it from Northern Brewer. It's not terribly common, although I'm a little surprised if they have a true Pilsner extract (not just generic light LME) and not Munich.

Alternatively, get yourself four pounds of Munich grain, back off the Pilsner LME by a couple pounds, and do a partial mash. It's EASY; hold the grains at 150°-155° for 45-60 minutes, rise with 170° water, and go. Munich will convert itself. You can do it with just a big grain bag and a collander.

the_bird said:
Well, you can order it from Northern Brewer. It's not terribly common, although I'm a little surprised if they have a true Pilsner extract (not just generic light LME) and not Munich.

Alternatively, get yourself four pounds of Munich grain, back off the Pilsner LME by a couple pounds, and do a partial mash. It's EASY; hold the grains at 150°-155° for 45-60 minutes, rise with 170° water, and go. Munich will convert itself. You can do it with just a big grain bag and a collander.

You know, I might as well just do that. I ordered the German Pils LME from MoreBeer because it was a little cheaper than my HBS. Is that considered a partial mash?

Yup. It's a real easy way to be able to start incorporating the really COOL grains like Munich into your brewing, without having to invest in any additional gear and making very few modifications to your procedures.

Of course, you DO recognize that this is a very slippery slope, right? ;)

So let's try this again...

3# Crushed Munich Malt (150F for 60 min, rinse with @170F)
1# Crushed Carapils Malt (steeped with the Munich)
4# German Pils LME

.75oz Sterling Pellets (6.0 Alpha) @ 60min
.25oz Sterling Pellets (6.0 Alpha) @ 10min

I wanted just a tiny touch of hop aroma so I switched to a lower alpha than the perle.

Look good?

Back