First cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnathebrewer

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch of hard cider. If I did something wrong is there any dangers I should be aware of before drinking it?

Could you elaborate more on your recipe and what you mean? If it's just store bought apple juice, sugar, and yeast, I wouldn't worry.

if their is nothing colorful and funny looking floating in it I would think its ok, if you don't like the flavor, let it age it will change for the better.

jflongo said:
Could you elaborate more on your recipe and what you mean? If it's just store bought apple juice, sugar, and yeast, I wouldn't worry.

Yeah that's what it is haha. Thanks

i would say your pretty safe then if it doesn't taste real good let it sit for 3 months and sample one if not let it sit again and sample after 6 months.

it wont make you go blind unless you drink to much and injure your eyes lol

on my second batch. last time I had it in the primary for 2 weeks, then siphon to secondary, 2 weeks, then pasteurized then in bottles 1 week, then drink. does this method sound good to people?

Open up the bottle and pour it into your mouth. Even if you screwed something up and it got infected it probably won't hurt you...just taste aweful

Open up the bottle and pour it into your mouth. Even if you screwed something up and it got infected it probably won't hurt you...just taste aweful

Lol, a little crude, but technically accurate!

As long as you have about 3% abv in the cider or more, most things that will make you sick have been killed off. Then it just comes down to 'do you like the taste'. :)

Back