Why do people Quit brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
I just answered a question as to will you ever quit brewing. As a brewer, I wonder why? My thoughts are some of us make it too complicated. We make it too expensive. People do this for the wrong reasons.

When somebody talks to me about brewing, I ask them why do they want to brew
? for me it is the recipe. I love to cook and I love to sit down with a real chef and discuss recipes. To make real beer its 6-7 hours of being attentive and making notes on what your doing. Some of you love the gadgets. I viewed beerpastors gallory and said I'm not in his league. Note I'm here because of one of his recipes.
My mentor told me about the picnic cooler system, I love it. Why do you want to do this at all given the time? Please note I'm on a bottle of sangioviesse and a RIS. So lets BS, or for you itellects there is a word that begins with a p that will work also

I think there are two big reasons that most people quit. The first is time. That's the one that keeps me from brewing more often than I do. The second one is boredom. Some people are interested in learning how to make beer or building a system, then lose interest once they get to a point where they are comfortable.

I think the #1 reason for quit brewing goes hand in hand with a spouse sick and tired of their hobby, them getting drunk all the time, and threatening with a divorce...OK, it's a combination reason...

#2 has to be not pleased with their results. This probably stems from a lack of drive and a lack patience to allow the brew to come into its full potential (drinks it too soon)...somewhere along a thin line of an oxymoron if you ask me...

But that's just my opinion. :D

DeathBrewer said:
if i lost both my arms in a horrible accident, i'd probably quit brewing. but i'd still make someone do it for me ;)

You're going to have a hard time making anyone do anything if you have no arms. Besides, you'd probably end up spending most of your time figuring our how to spank your monkey.

I have two other reasons I think people turn in their racking canes:

1) Love it but can't do it anymore - Let's face it, brewing your own beer lends itself to more drinking. It's more handy. More tasty. It's the fruit of our labor and there is always the next recipe to try. More drinking for some, will result in a downward slide to the point where they hit the ole - "my life has got to change" stage in life. Next thing you know...their stuff is on Craigs List. I have two fermenters, 85 bottles, a capper and a bunch of other odds and ends from just such an individual.

B) Been there, done that - Like any hobby, it has it's enthuisiasts who dive in becuase it's new, fun and different. Once it is now longer new and different, the fun usually fades and they move on to the next "thing". I only hope that I don't reach that point.

So basically it's "I shouldn't do this any more" or "I'm tired of doing this".

I hope that the beer gods spare me either of these curses. :D

My point is that the people that quit aren't here to post why or they don't yet realize that they are those people. I might be drinking more than you.

ameadrat said:
Why do you want to do this at all given the time?

Given the time? 6 hours, and I've got a couple cases of awesome brew that I made myself. To me, it's just about the most rewarding thing one could do. In a culture where very few of us make the things we use, concoct the things we eat/drink, or grow the things we consume, there's just something very...primitive and beautiful about it. Of course, I could also sew my own clothes or get my own milk from my own cow...but neither of those are nearly as much fun, and neither will get you drunk.

Evan! said:
Oh, jesus, no...don't you have like a homebrew signal you can flash in the sky, like Batman?

LOL! I wish but they're too expensive... I got a couple bottles stashed away for emergencies but i'm bottling my Irish Red tomorrow so only a couple more weeks... I can stand it.

DeadYetiBrew said:
LOL! I wish but they're too expensive... I got a couple bottles stashed away for emergencies but i'm bottling my Irish Red tomorrow so only a couple more weeks... I can stand it.

I can hardly remember what it's like to be out of beer.

I'm still new, but i think the only time I've seen this come up is in the intro forum when you see people talking about getting back into brewing after a long stint without, so that leads me to believe that no one quits, some just take long breaks.

DeathBrewer said:
i'll need help with that too. i can still headbutt you, damn it :mad:

:off: I love this quote. :D
Also in regards to the losing you're arms thing, I broke my foot almost two weeks ago, next week the doc should know if I need surgery or not, so I'm temporarily forced to quit.....as to someone else doing it for me, I don't trust anyone that much. The first day I can lift a full carboy safely on two feet I'm brewing!

I agree any new hobby at some point loses its "sparkle". However brewing kind of leaves a carrot dangling. "How can I make the beer better (or different) the next go round". I couldn't imagine saying that I have made the perfect beer. At least from the perspective of someone that has been brewing less than a year.

So it must be the time or frustration with the results.

I quit brewing once for 9 years because I got sick of washing bottles and couldn't afford a kegging kit. Then I was busy doing other things and didn't have the time or room. Now I have that space and the money and the time so I'm brewing again. I once didn't drink for almost 2 years as well. Life throws you funny situations. Being flexible and adjusting your life around those situations makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

I'm studying to become a biochemist and I'm a novice chef.

Even if I'm still waiting for wort to cool at 12am with work the next morning, there's still nothing I'd rather be doing. To me, it's just it...the gadgets, the process, the discussion, everything.

I think for a lot of people they get sucked in with the "make more booze for cheaper" stigmata, and once they find out it takes more work than they're willing to export, they lose interest and place the ad in the classifieds.

Both of the clubs I belong to have active members that don't brew any more. Mostly lack of time or space, but a couple just lost interest. One guy (I think) decided he was a better critic than brewer. BJCP certified and always ready to tell you what's wrong with your batch. Can't say too much against him, I did get an entire case of one liter flippies from him for free.

I would wager that the vast majority of people who drop out of homebrewing never really made a good batch, probably because they were using crappy kit-and-kilo kits, or just had a lot of bad information on how to make beer. Either that, or they were just looking for a quick buzz and weren't really appreciative of good beer. Once you know what you're doing and can consistently make beer that's pretty much on a par with the better commercial stuff, I really don't know what would make you stop other than alcohol poisoning.

I think the primary reason that I would quit homebrewing would be if I wasn't satisfied with the results. I've been getting better with every batch, and I do like the beers that I make, but I'm still not completely happy with the results, I still think that the commercial beers I like are generally better than the ones I make.

I'm getting closer every batch and not looking to quit at all, but there hasn't been a beer that I've made yet that is better than my favorite commercial brew of the same type.

Its still fun to do, but I could see it turning into a chore for people who are disappointed with their beer.

I have a long ways to go before I throw in the towel, and by that time I'm sure I'll be making much better beer, but I can at least forsee why I'd quit, if I couldn't improve off of what I've done so far.

Heck though, I'm barely 6 months into this hobby, just a newbie!

DeadYetiBrew said:
:( I ran out of homebrew :(

Don't panic, I have plenty! Go to the other end of Tennessee & turn right on I75.
When you get to Atlanta turn left..... Tonight is bottling and brewing night. I could use the help. Bring an empty pprimary and your favorite mug:mug:

mrk305 said:
Don't panic, I have plenty! Go to the other end of Tennessee & turn right on I75.
When you get to Atlanta turn left..... Tonight is bottling and brewing night. I could use the help. Bring an empty pprimary and your favorite mug:mug:

Sure thing i'll be there is 16 hours lol...

-----

I really think the only reason why people would stop brewing would be
A) Money
B) Time
C) Lack of Skill

I honestly can not think of one good reason to quit brewing. If you don't have a lot of time, then only brew a couple of times a year. If drinking is getting the the way of your relationship, either cut back on brewing to a couple times a year, or brew and give it all away.

Nobody likes a quitter anyway...:cross:

What really irks me is that I'm sure we lose lots of brewers to bad product because of bad kits. I remember my first brew was a kit that told me to add a few pounds of table sugar and ferment in a sanitized trash can. I'm sure these still exist and result in substandard products which cause many people to give it up as a waste of time which results in a poor beer.

If my first beer hadn't been one of the best damn things i've ever drank, i probably would have told my grandpa - "this is too much damn work!"

DeathBrewer said:
if i lost both my arms in a horrible accident, i'd probably quit brewing. but i'd still make someone do it for me ;)

Isn't that why we have kids?

IMHO, I tend to think most people get sidetracked... life, in its' infinite insanity, gets in the way.

I personally think life needs to take a flying leap sometimes and let me do what the hell I want to do.

Until the bills are due of course. :drunk:

Ize

I think there are two big reasons that most people quit. The first is time. That's the one that keeps me from brewing more often than I do. The second one is boredom. Some people are interested in learning how to make beer or building a system, then lose interest once they get to a point where they are comfortable.

I think rdwi has it right for the majority of brewers that have been sucessful. However I think most people that start never get good and decide it is not for them. We never hear about them most of the time so it may seem like that would not be a great number. I would bet it is the greatest number.

Peoples lives change and sometimes something must give and hobbies are a lot easer to give up than kids, wives and work.

Boredom with a hobby is common enough especially if there is not a lot of local activity that helps keep it going such as a club, contests and the like to keep it interesting.

And of course, the homebrewer may have died. I am not sure that is a good excuse though.....:mug:

Drunkenness. I'll quit when I have to save my marriage. Or I'll quit being married when I have to save my brewing. One or the other. Hasn't come up yet.

I can see how the cleaning/sanitizing preocess could drive someone out. When I'm rinsing and repeating, I sometimes feel that a Frontal Labotamy would be better. Course, I'm that way with all maintinance, teethbrushing, haircut, showers, it's gotta be done but,....... somebody shoot me.

Seriously though, can't ever see quitting despite the boring parts.

I brewed extract for a couple of years, quit for 5 years or so and am currently drinking my first AG, (edworts haus) brewed with my brother. Why did I quit? I cant really say, a number of factors I guess, First and formost I bought a motorcycle and for a while all my freetime got consumed exploring backroads & traveling, also the LHBS shut down, making it sort of a PITA. My brother missed my beer and brewed every once in a while... I always meant to get back into it. Recently I bought a new house with more space & bought some cornies, hope to never live without homebrew again.

I just read the posts. I'm sitting here finishing my Traquar house ale clone and thinking if I had bought this it would have cost me about $7.25 for my 16 oz.
That was really only about 50 cents.

Reaons we quit:
Rook likes the process but is trying to make commercial beers. I'll commit sucide.
Bud does what they do well. I would never try to do what they do. I cant make it cheaper or worse(sorry I mean better) and still be bud.

Time- that is proirities and nobody bother to tell them that AG is the only way to go an its a six hour day or worse.

I've had great teachers and got lucky early in that I started with AG and my first beers were good ales.

So how do we get them past that stage. Those who like it take breaks, I call that letting it age which is not a bad thing with stouts and scottish ales. If you have a kid, your running them all the time so you take a break. That's time or priorities.

I think most quit because of lack of success(as defined in their terms) and it runs its course and they decide its not for me. Some quit because some of us(not me), are gadget junkies and the money starts to fly out the door. My 10 year old 40 quart picnic cooler($18.) is finished and I'm in sticker shock.

So now how do we take the Rook's and help them love it like we do? This is not a theortical discussion. A friend of mine has asked me to lead a discussion on getting started in how brew, to a bunch of people who are already into scratch cooking. Its kinda of a uppie back to earth type group.

Back