NB chocolate milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsojos

Reaction score
This post is dual purpose, informational and a question. I brewed the subject extract kit, 2 weeks in primary, transferred to secondary to add cocoa nibs and left for 4 weeks in secondary. Bottled with 3.3 oz of priming sugar to get close to style. After transferring to secondary it developed a coating on the surface that, at first glance, looked like a definite infection. It started as a white web-looking coating and, over time, small white balls developed. I checked around for pictures and information to try and figure out if it was indeed an infection or something else...I'm still not positive what it was. Anyway, it tastes great, no vinegar flavor or any other off flavors. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but does anyone have any idea of what I'm describing?

No idea on your infection but this is my next brew. How long did you leave it on the cocoa nibs and how was the flavor?

White webbing and white balls? Was this all over the top of secondary or in one corner? How long after you transferred did the webbing appear? White balls? Did any of this webbing/balls get into the beer or bottles?

I have an idea, but want your answers first.

Sounds like Brett infection to me, my NB Dawsons Kriek sour uses Brett among other things and it has white powdery balls over the surface at this very moment!
Just proceed as usual but sample them often, if they last. If there are any weird developments (in flavor or smell) consider the possibility that this type of infection is a cause of bottle bombs. Good luck, that kit is really good I have some bottled right now.

PhillyMike said:
White webbing and white balls? Was this all over the top of secondary or in one corner? How long after you transferred did the webbing appear? White balls? Did any of this webbing/balls get into the beer or bottles?

I have an idea, but want your answers first.

It was all over the surface and developed about one week after transfer to secondary. The liquid in the bottles looks to have a film on top from the outside, but nothing after pouring.

CircusHooker said:
No idea on your infection but this is my next brew. How long did you leave it on the cocoa nibs and how was the flavor?

4 weeks in secondary on nibs. Tastes like dark chocolate and coffee...pretty tasty.

wilsojos said:
It was all over the surface and developed about one week after transfer to secondary. The liquid in the bottles looks to have a film on top from the outside, but nothing after pouring.

Yeah, it's Brett contamination, just as dannyhawkins said. As said, just monitor the beer via tasting. Hopefully it doesn't affect your beer at all.

Funny, after a quick read of your post the first time, the first thing that popped into my head was you had a spider in your beer. I'm glad I reread your post again.

Latest posts

Back