How/When to use Keg Lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I bought a tube of keg lube and will be kegging for the first time tonight. In all the instructions I've found though, there's no mention of the lube.

Do I use it on all rubber parts or just the main o-ring? Do I put it on before or after sanitizing?

Thanks for the info!

I use it sparingly on all of my rubber o-rings (gas in tube o-ring, beer-out tube o-ring, lid o-ring, even the pressure relief valve rubber part, and the poppet valve rubber). I clean and sanitize everything before applying. After everything is assembled I spray the posts and disconnects with sanitizer before connecting them.

A little goes a long way, don't slather the stuff on.

same here as well, and yeah a thin coating is all you need. if the gasket looks 'wet' then it has enough on it.

I put a liberal amount on the lid and post o-rings before I transfer beer to my serving kegs.

Bubba_Mustafa said:
Its an assembly lube. I'd think if you use starsan, its slippery enough if you assembly it while still wet.

I'd argue to say that it also:
1. Lengthens the life of your rings by preventing them from drying out.
2. Helps prevent leaks. Good example was on the sprayer I converted to clean out my lines. It would not pressurize so I slathered some keg lube on the o-ring at the top and she now holds pressure just fine.

I wish I would have bought a tube instead of a jar. That stuff doesn't come off your hands the greatest.

i use a moderate amount on all o-rings as well. The one place i vary is on one keg where the lid-opening has been bent (flared out a little), so it can leak. On that keg, i load the lid o-ring up with the stuff, which prevents the bend from bleeding out CO2. took me 2 tanks to track down the leak, but a little extra lube sealed it right up.

Back