(Another) Frigidaire 7.2 Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WC87

Reaction score
Props to Quaffer for the inspiration...

My original converted chest freezer kegerator was slowly dying, but it managed to get me thru this past March before deciding it wasn't cooling past 50F anymore. Plus, it was ugly - hey, I used it from Day 1 as a brewer and never had to bottle, so it still has a fond place in my heart.

I decided it was time to upgrade. My criteria - had to have room for at least 4 cornys with faucets, and had to be small enough to move it inside - my old kegerator was 15.5 cuft and stayed in my garage - and needed to somewhat blend in with my existing appliances.

I found a white 7.2 cuft Frigidaire on CL for $50, only 3 years old, but had rust on the lid in some places. Not ideal, but with a collar added I could possibly house 5 corny kegs (3 on the floor + CO2, with 2 on the hump) so I made the purchase.

First, I sanded off all the paint and rust and then taped and painted it to match my kitchen appliances with black appliance paint.

sandedlid.jpg

tapedandpainted.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. This was my first and hopefully only experience with appliance paint - man that stuff gets everywhere!

paintingdone.jpg

Mounting the collar - I used a 2x8 piece of pine from Lowe's.

collarfits.jpg

Next, I wanted to stain it and coat it with urethane to protect it. I found a stain at Lowe's in a cabernet color by Zinsser (thanks again Quaffer) but I'm calling it maroon. 3 coats of stain plus 3 coats of urethane.

stainingthecollar.jpg

I used 1/2" heavy duty black weatherstripping to place between the collar and freezer to help seal the collar. I used 4 right angle strong ties with small sheet metal screws to attach it to the freezer; this was the only permanent change to the freezer besides the paint. Now, the plumbing. I decided on 3 faucets initially with room to the left for 2 more, and got everything I needed from www.kegconnection.com, including a new 15# CO2 bottle I decided to leave inside the kegerator. As you can see, 4 cornies and the CO2 bottle fit very nicely. I can also fit a 5th corny on the hump, but it's pretty tight.

mountedcollar.jpg

Let's move it inside and plug it in. Hey, it works!

movedinside.jpg

I mounted the drip tray using welding magnets as others on HBT have done, and it's easily removable for cleaning. And I added some Aggie bling to it...

bottleopener.jpg

I painted the top with Chalkboard paint, so I could write stuff on top, such as what beers are on tap. My first couple of coats over the appliance paint were by spray can, however I decided it would look better to roll it on. Rolling provided a much smoother and even surface.

chalkboardi.jpg

So, there you go. It's been in action for 7 months and going strong! The only other things I still might do is switch out the white lid gasket for a black one, and possibly add some insulating foam board like Quaffer did in his build, but honestly with full kegs the temp seems to hold just fine. I used a basic analog Johnson Controller as my temp regulator, and the bulb sits inside the keezer in an old contact lens solution bottle filled with gel from a cold pack. Seems to work fine.

Nice job on the build! I thought about chalkboard paint for mine, but I ended up using wood so SWIMBO would let me put it in the house.:tank:

Thanks for the kind words! When I built this there was no SWMBO in the picture. That has since changed, however she supports my beer debauchery, although the conversion of the 3rd bedroom into a bar/fermentation chamber/brewhaus has been put on indefinite hold. :(

How tough was it to cut the 45 degree angles accurately? I'm not much of a woodworker, actually I totally suck at it. I'm most worried about cutting the wood.

WC87 may have another (and certainly more accurate to this posting) answer, but if you have a pal with 10" chop (mitre) saw then you're golden and can easily make a precise cut with one swoop of the blade. If you do it by hand (either with a circular saw or a hand saw) then just take it slow and be careful and have a little wood filler handy.
That said, it's all cosmetic. Your keezer will work just as well with butt joints.

I think lowes might actually cut stuff for you, if you're really worried about it. Just have the dimensions handy. I've never done that, but I don't think I just made it up.

Good call, I'll try that. I bought the freezer from there, so there will at least be one close we can look at.

If this thing looks good enough, I'm hoping my wife lets it grace the inside of our house. Otherwise, I'll be pouring beer in the garage!:mug:

Good call, I'll try that. I bought the freezer from there, so there will at least be one close we can look at.

If this thing looks good enough, I'm hoping my wife lets it grace the inside of our house. Otherwise, I'll be pouring beer in the garage!:mug:

I got the wood part for my keezer from home depot: they would cut the pieces at the right dimension (the guy there was so patient while I kept changing my mind :) ), but they would not do angle cuts. With the right finish, the result is nice anyway. I was in the same situation as you: it had to be nice to be inside, and it passed :ban:

I realize these questions regarding mitering the collar were over a month ago, however I utilized a rotary skilsaw with an adjustable blade angle and also MEASURED MEASURED MEASURED before cutting. I also practiced my cuts on a scrap piece of wood just to make sure. While my cuts were not perfect, with a little wood filler and sanding the mitred joints fit pretty well.

When getting something cut at lowes or home depot, find the oldest person there. Everytime I get stuck with a 20 year old my cuts end up 1/4 off or so. The yout has no pride anymore

Back