10 days in the fermenter and ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
I took a gravity reading and a taste test. Gravity is 1.011 and it tastes ok..

not great though, it seems a little watered down and flavorless. I do taste the hops though. I am worried that I added too much water. Is there any way to concentrate it now or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned to be precise with measuring water during brew day? I plan to let it sit in the primary another week or so before bottling.

I'm really confused. What type of beer is it? What was your origional gravity? What is the recipe you used? How much beer do you have? More specifics would be good.

Sorry,

5 gallon batch of a hooped pale ale partial boil extract brew with specialty grain steeping. I hooped magnum at 60 min, amarillo at 10 min and amarillo 0 min. When I poured the wort into the 6.5 glass carboy I added a little more top off water because I was trying to compensate for the water that got boiled off. I fear I may have added a little too much water. origional gravity was 1.044

So today when I tasted it, it tasted slightly watery. So I guess I am asking, at this point is there any way to get rid of some of the water in there or am I just stuck with it the way it is?

Flat beer always tastes a little watery to me. Carbonation will give it body and mouthfeel, and will bring out flavor and aroma as well.

no, you're doing fine. cold and carbonation do wonders, they bring out malt and hop subtleties that are really hard to taste flat and warm. your OG and final gravity look completely reasonable given the style.

Did you do a full boil or a partial boil? About how much top off water did you add? Is your OG from before you topped off or after? Ballpark, how much would you guess you have, a picture might be helpful too. How much and what type of grains did you use? Could you post the recipe you used? That will help figure out how much body you can expect. With an OG of 1.044 and an FG of 1.011, I wouldn't expect anything 'thick' or 'heavy', but I've made beers around both of those numbers and they turned out pretty good. Its still early. After it has bottle conditioned for a while it will definately taste different than it does today.

Back