Wild Yeast Low End Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyon1

Reaction score
Recently pressed 55 gallons of cider, mostly Cortland but also with a mixture. Planning on doing a bare bones ferment and simply letting the wild yeast take care of everything. Since the barrel was so heavy we left it in the garage, but I am wondering what is the low end temperature for wild yeasts to be viable? I live in Western New York, where the average monthly temperatures will be reducing from ~47 to ~32 over the next three months. The garage is not heated but is insulated. Will the yeast be able to fully ferment quick enough before the temp becomes too low, or must the barrel be moved into the house/basement. Original Gravity is low, 1.050, so we are not looking for a very alcoholic/long fermenting product.

-Thanks!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Primary:
Empty, Soon to be 5 Gal Woodchuck Cider Clone

Secondary:
10 Gal Concord Wine, 1/2 Red, 1/2 Blush
6 Gal Strawberry Melomel

Bottled:
Muntons Irish Style Stout
Williams Brewing Honey Wheat

That's how the old Germans do it around here. They leave the barrel in the garage and wait til next summer to tap into it. I'm not sure if they are using wild or commercial yeast though.

The best wild yeast ferments I have done have all been at very low temps, leaving the cider in an enclosed, but uninsulated porch over the winter and throwing a blanket around it when it got really cold, so the cider wouldnt freeze. I would say that your temp range sounds good.

Back