Brutus Build – Low Pressure and High Pressure Burner Combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerDog

Reaction score
So I’m building a Brutus and have a few questions about my burner selection. I was going to go with two (all propane) high pressure burners for the MASH and HTL tanks (55K I think, with 10psi adjustable regulators for controllability, from turkey fryer) and a lower pressure burner for the kettle (23 jets, for the power and quick boils). After reading all the post I am having my doubts about my decision. I have all the burners and regulators and I am now thinking of putting the 23 jet burner on the HTL since it is ASCO controlled and is really not as important as the other tanks.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks,

I too am in the beginnings of Brutalizing my brewing set up and am not sure I understand the difference. Where do you get high pressure propane versus low pressure propane? Is it not the same in each tank you buy? Does it come down to what regulator you choose?

I have a two burner camp chef stove, and a turkey burner from eastman outdoors called the big kahuna. The camp chef has one 60K BTU and one 30K BTU. I figured this could be my HLT and Mash burners. The Kahuna is a 65K btu and would be for boiling as it has its own stand.

Should I be using all three of the same burners?

Yes, the pressures in the tanks are the same but it up to the regulator to change the pressure. I have one low pressure regulation for the jet burner (0,5 psi), and adjustable regulators for the high pressure burners (0-30psi, I think).

As for using the same burner I don’t think it really maters. In my case I just have to mess with different regulations for different pressure. A bit of a pain in the a$$ but that’s just the way it worked out for me. My logic at the time was to go big for the kettle burner but now I’m not to sure. Still looking for suggestions on this one.

Chose one style of burner and use it in all positions. This will save money from having to purchase and plumb a second regulator. Go cheap, as long as you have the power all you need is heat. I cant find the link but Agrisupply has $8 burners and $20? regs. they work great on my 10G rig.

Thanks beer thirty and trigger dog. I appreciate both your informational additions. For right now I have a two burner camp chef stove (one high one low pressure) and a second stand alone one burner eastman outdoors big kahuna burner ( high). Since it is what I have right now I will likely use those units as is with their respective regulators and stands. As time and money become more available I will be following your advice to build a proper brutus stand. This forum is just wonderful, thanks again.

Back