Programs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
What programs do you use to make logos? Are there any free basic applications to download online? I already have a logo, I just need to be able to wrap text around it.

I've been messing with Inkscape (it's free) and I think with some time and going through the tutorials, I'll be able to learn how to make some pretty cool labels. I would check it out.

Inkcape .47 and GIMP, the two best open source programs available. There are tons of tutorials to get you aquainted with the programs. However, they are your best source of free software to create awesome labels.

i use paint.net. i have not heard it mentioned around the boards much but it is a really great program. It can do a lot of the same things as photoshop but its free. check it out
http://paint.net/

Two types of software, bitmap and vector.

Photoshop, Corel Photopaint, GIMP, etc. manipulate bitmap image, which are made of of lots of little dots.

Illustrator, CorelDraw, etc. are useful Vector programs as they allow one to create images made up of calculations of drawings, rather than dots. Therefore they can scale in size with no loss of sharpness (bitmaps get a jagged or blocky appearance when size is altered).

Some people use a combination of both to create labels. I personally have experience with Corel Photopaint, and not much else with anything else.

Also, some have been using Inkscape, which I think is vector-based and fairly simple.

A lot of people here use GIMP. It's a crude free version of photoshop, but it works pretty well for logos.

Ouch.. that hurts. Seriously though GIMP is hardly crude, it might be different than what you know but it is absolutely capable for those who take the time to learn to use it. That said, neither GIMP nor Photoshop are well suited for original illustration. Bit mapped graphics editors are better for, well, editing.

I personally use Inkscape for virtually all my illustration and original art creation. If I I want to combine that art into a scene or some thing, I export the SVG to a PNG and then will work with GIMP to create the image from the components.

Both GIMP and Inkscape are OpenSource (Free as in Beer and Free as in Speech) and they run on multiple operating systems.

Here is my latest label for my winter beer, bottling today! This was done totally with Inkscape since it is all illustration. I released the Father winter image under the creative commons license so feel free to reuse it. It is available here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old_man_winter.svg

brewphreak_label_winter_special_brown_ale.png

Paint.Net FTGDMFW! Lots of user created extensions for free available and the possibilities for my Paint.net have surpassed my father in law's $600 photoshop package. And yes, its not easy to create images, but it IS easy to steal a bunch of pictures from the interwebs and manipulate them so much that they become your own. :D

Inkscape, for sure. Pretty powerful for freeware and very capable. Take the time to learn what you need to learn how to use it, and it'll make your life very simple.

Yup, don't buy all of the big deal programs if you don't have to. I'm so glad that Adobe has competitors who make their software free for everyone. And this is coming from a graphic designer - makes it so you don't need us anymore for basic needs! I use Photoshop & Illustrator. Never used the freeware, but I've heard very good things for most.

Back