Vienna/Centennial SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed mine to 77ibu's with both the chinook and centennial, which in hindsight seems like way to much. If i did it again i would probably drop it down to the 30-40 range.

I don't have much experience with Vienna malt, is it more of a maltier taste than pale? I want to make this soon but we are in the middle of summer

also might try a Wyeast instead of safale

Did a 2.5 gallon of this yesterday morning as my first all grain. I cheated tho and put 16oz of dark DME in at the beginning of the boil just to use it up (compensated by adding more hops at 20min). Nice amber color going into the fermenter.

I was looking for a Vienna or Munich smash recipe and I love centennial hops and coincidentally enough two hearted ale. However I like malt forward ipa's like two hearted.

All that rambling being said, if I upped the Vienna to say 11 or 12 lbs would that give it more of a malt character? And maybe mash at say 148-149 to give it more body?

12 lbs of Vienna and 5 oz of centennial purchased yesterday, should have some malt character just hope it doesn't finish too sweet

My last pale ale was 100% vienna. I mashed at 151F and it turned out awesome! Beautiful orange-golden color that had a slight biscuit taste that provided good balance while still letting the hops (Columbus & El Dorado) really shine through. Just make sure to adjust your water profile appropriately.

Mash smelled great, I'm hoping for a 7-10 day primary, 2-3 cold crash with gelatin and then keg and force carb

My efficiency was terrible 1.045 O.G. Measured at 80 degrees Fahrenheit and I used 12.5+ lbs of Vienna. Guess it's gonna be a session pale ale

If you measured with a hydrometer at 80F the OG should actually be closer to 1.047 - not much difference but a bit better efficiency :)

Not sure what happened to my setup, I used to nail my OG every time now I had a couple batches that looked like water and this batch I was careful to measure the calculated mash and sparge water. I even crushed the grain twice because I didn't like the look of the crush on the first run.

I guess I need to get my own grinder and stop using the LHBS'

Beer looks good currently fermenting at 64 degrees sometime this week I'll get over there to do a FG reading (beer is in my dads basement) and dry hop for 7 days, planning on another 10-14 days of conditioning in the fermenter and then 2-5 days of cold crash and a 24 hour force carb in the keg

Beer looks good currently fermenting at 64 degrees sometime this week I'll get over there to do a FG reading (beer is in my dads basement) and dry hop for 7 days, planning on another 10-14 days of conditioning in the fermenter and then 2-5 days of cold crash and a 24 hour force carb in the keg

Any reason why you're conditioning in the fermenter for so long? Personally I would cold crash for a few days after the dry hop and let it condition in the keg while it's on gas.

The problem with conditioning under pressure is keeping my mitts off it haha. I suppose I see your point, I never made it over there to do the dry hop, considering foregoing the dry hop. This coming Monday will be 14 days in primary I could cold crash this weekend and keg on Monday or Tuesday. Just rambling and thinking out loud here I suppose

Back