Vienna/Centennial SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Brewing this up tomorrow.

Batch Size 5.5 gallons
80% Effeciency
OG 1.050
IBUs 60.3

9.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
2.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (20 min) Hops 27.4 IBU

1 oz Centennial Dry Hop

Mash at 150F
S-05

After the success of my last SMaSH I can't wait for this one to be done. As I always do, I will reply to this thread with my results.

BTW, it rawks to work at your LHBS. I got the idea to brew this so I just went up there at 10pm and got it all together. :rockin:

I have brewed many, many vienna smashes and every one of them rocked. I've never done it with centennial, but I'm sure it will be great.

Does this much centenial make it taste citrusy? Or does all that grapefruit you get with dry-hopping centenial get blown off in a 20min addition?

After really loving the citrus flavor of big American pale ales, I seem to have lost my taste for it all of a sudden :(

No idea yet. I'm brewing it today, too much rain yesterday (as you already know). I love Bell's Two Hearted, it's all Centennial, I don't perceive a lot of grapefuit in it. Now Columbus is another story. I'm also drinking a Stone IPA right now that has a lot of Centennial in it, no grapefruit that I can taste.

Just got my first runnings and I'm fixing to start my sparge.

Centennial, to me at least, does not have the "in your face" citrus that many (most?) of the other C hops. It's my general "go to" hop for american styles.

Just took a hydrometer sample. 1.013. Damn tasty. I mean real damn tasty. This Sunday will make two weeks since brew day. I will probably cold crash it then for at least a week and keg (if I have an available one).

Oh, gotta dry hop, too. Maybe I'll throw those in now.

My Vienna / Northern Brewer Smash is done fermenting and is finishing up now. Bought the ingredients from Chris at the LHBS in fact!

This looks great. I just thought about if you could run 2 burners big enough to do 5 gallons batches, you would run off enough wort to boil 2 batches. Transfer half to another kettle before boiling and then do 2 different hops.

hmm.... I think centennial sounds great maybe chinook or something too. I just may have to do that.

Kegged this two nights ago. It's been cold crashing for two weeks. I'm drinking this half flat and I'm on my 3rd or 4th pint. This is delcious. More notes when it's fully carbed. and when i'm not drunk.

Awesome! My Vienna / Northern Brewer is still in the secondary, but it smells reeeally good. Need to buy some bottles from the store and get to bottling. I've got a Party Pig, but its got about 2 gal of a ok-but-not-great Dunkleweizen in it that I need to drain.

Well, I kicked this keg last night. Definately a keeper. I would brew this up again without hesitation. I think the lagering of this really helped the flavors come together. Had a couple of guys over at the house from the board one night. It was good then, but a week later and it was really good. I was sad to see it go. Good thing I got a pound of Centennial.

Im saving it for later. Im picking up a 1/2 sack of Vienna and already have a lb of Centennial...time good sir time is what I need!

Columbus is very grapefruit-y. I did an all Columbus IPA a few months back and it took it sometime for it to smooth out. But when it did it was really good.

This is a possibility for my first attempt at AG... other than the hops seem to be a fortune from the LHBS...

What did you use for yeast? And you mentioned that you lagered it? More details please :D

This is a possibility for my first attempt at AG... other than the hops seem to be a fortune from the LHBS...

What did you use for yeast? And you mentioned that you lagered it? More details please :D

I used S05.

Basically it was just a long cold crash. Couple of weeks near 32F, helps clear the beer and makes the flavors meld together nicely. This is not a must, I like to do it when the time and space allow.

I used S05.

Basically it was just a long cold crash. Couple of weeks near 32F, helps clear the beer and makes the flavors meld together nicely. This is not a must, I like to do it when the time and space allow.

Nice thanks...

We have a room (two actually) that the hot air vents in the house don't run to... can put anything at 13C + or - for a while, especially during the winter...

Pricing the LHBS it is cheaper to order online for most stuff at a flat shipping rate... prolly going to put together a list for 3-4 brews and place an order. This will have to be one of them...

Nice thanks...

We have a room (two actually) that the hot air vents in the house don't run to... can put anything at 13C + or - for a while, especially during the winter...

Pricing the LHBS it is cheaper to order online for most stuff at a flat shipping rate... prolly going to put together a list for 3-4 brews and place an order. This will have to be one of them...

Sweet, let me know how it turns out.

:mug:

Hey guys, I'm giving this a shot tomorrow afternoon, have bought all of my ingredients and am ready to get busy. I'm using the exact recipe in the first post, also with the S05. I just built a new mash tun out of an igloo cooler so i'll be busting my cherry on the mash tun and smash beers in general! :ban:

Hey guys, I'm giving this a shot tomorrow afternoon, have bought all of my ingredients and am ready to get busy. I'm using the exact recipe in the first post, also with the S05. I just built a new mash tun out of an igloo cooler so i'll be busting my cherry on the mash tun and smash beers in general! :ban:

I am honored. Chime back in and tell me how it turns out.

Chris's Vienna/Centennial is good, I'll attest to that. I don't think I've had a bad smash yet actually.

Hmmm, I wonder how this recipe would do with Wyeast 2112......................Anyone know what the WLP equivalent is?

What do you guys think about this recipe with cascade? I have a pound of cascade coming from Niko's sale.

I don't go for IPA's or real hoppy beers that much, so I brewed mine more like a lighter-colored amber ale. I used 2 ounces in 5gal and it's fantastic, this is a good combo for sure.

10.5# Vienna (Best Malz)

.65oz Centennial - 60 min - 24.1 IBU
.35oz Centennial - 5 min
1oz Centennial - Dry hop

1 packet Safale-05

Vienna and cascade hops should be just fine, go for it.

I'm fairly positive that I'm going to brew this as my tenth batch. I knew I wanted something that contained primarily Centennial, and this looks amazing. Because this will be my first SMaSH though, I have a question. Does steeping the Vienna at 150 extract all of the fermentable sugars, or are there other steps that need to be taken?

I just brewed this last weekend. Ended up splitting it into two 2.5 gal batches. One batch I used the centennial like the OP, and the other batch I used chinook but I matched it with the IBU's of the centennial. I also quasi-continuous hopped it. I took the bittering hops and spread them out evenly over the first 30 minutes of the boil adding them every 5 minutes. I then took the 30 and 20 minute hops and spread them out evenly over the last 30 minutes of the boil, adding them every 5 minutes as well. I will dry hop each batch with 1/2oz of each batches respective hops.

I hit my numbers pretty much exactly on each batch during the brew session. Should be interesting to drink these side by side. I'll update when I get a chance to taste.

Update: Tasted my bottled vienna-centennial/chinook smash. They both came out great! The chinook has an aftertaste like you just took a big gulp of grapefruit juice. My brother in law was shocked when I told him there was no grapefruit juice in it. I dont remember the centennial as well, it was also very citrusy. Reminded me a lot of Bells two hearted (for obvious reasons).

The only beef i have is they are both a bit one dimensional, all hop little to no malt. But I think this will make them great summer beers. Next up, 10gal smash split into nelson-sauvin/amarillo/simcoe/citra 2.5gal batches.

The only beef i have is they are both a bit one dimensional, all hop little to no malt. But I think this will make them great summer beers.

I know exactly what you mean here. I did a Marris Otter/Cascade smash that ended up tasting Cascade and nothing else. Was pretty good, but a little malt backbone would have done wonders for the beer.

So I just did a Vienna/Hallertau SMaSH mashed at 154 and only 15 or 20 IBUs with Wyeast American Ale II. It's a better California Common than the California Common I did a few months ago. :tank:

Vienna SMaSHes rock.

Back