Double Mountain Vaporizer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a variation on Double Mountain's Vaporizer. I've only had it once, on tap, and it is one of my favorite "unique" beers (I've had nothing quite like it). They call it an IPA, but I don't think the malt lets it fall into the IPA style.
They brew it using all Pils malt & Challenger hops, 60 IBU & 6%. I have a bunch of Perle, so I was wanting to use that instead of the Challenger.
Any thoughts on using Perle? I've not used it before.

Bumping an old thread, but how did it turn out? I had it for the first time last night and loved it. I'm tempted to try to brew up something like it myself. It's the perfect summer beer for people who like hops. And FWIW, Double Mountain is no longer calling it an IPA, they're calling it a dry hopped pale.

The recipe can't be all that complicated, here's what it says on the website currently:
“THE VAPORIZER” is a golden-hued Pale Ale that features a beautifully hoppy aroma and flavor. The malt is 100% Gambrinus Pilsner, our sweet and supple house malt from Gambrinus Malting in British Columbia. The hops are primarily of the Challenger variety, grown on a single farm in the Yakima Valley. Matt and his team dry-hop “THE VAPORIZER” to pump up the hoppy goodness. It’s an appetizingly dry, clean and pure-tasting take on a hoppy Pale Ale, if we do say so ourselves. And we do. 6.0% alcohol by volume, 50 bittering units.

I'm thinking you could just wing it and produce something pretty similar, and probably pretty tasty.

They also use some Brewer's Gold, I think for bittering, in the mix as well.

Bumping an old thread, but how did it turn out? I had it for the first time last night and loved it. I'm tempted to try to brew up something like it myself. It's the perfect summer beer for people who like hops. And FWIW, Double Mountain is no longer calling it an IPA, they're calling it a dry hopped pale.

I brewed this first last year:
100% Pils malt for 1.054 OG
Perle hops at 90, 20, 10 & 0 to hit 60 IBU
Ferment with US-05

This was very tasty, and flew out of the kegerator last August.

I'd read somewhere that Double Mountain uses Wyeast 1762 as their house yeast, so I brewed the recipe again using 1762. This version was not a popular as the first, and it didn't get on tap until after the rains started here, so not ideal timing. I think the yeast flavors muddled with the hops, whereas the US-05 let the hops shine through.

Great to know, thanks! I was thinking US-05 because I figured I'd want that hop profile to shine through. Glad to know that worked well. It is probably a little late to brew it this year (at least ideally) but I might still give it a go. If not, I'll definitely have a batch ready for 4th of July next year.

Back