Energy Drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culaslucas

Reaction score
So I did a search and couldn't find anything on here.

SWMBO wants me to make an energy drink. Her favorite is Diet Rockstar.

Has anybody tried something like this? I'd like to keg a batch so she doesn't have to buy it anymore. I'm not a huge fan of the stuff, I just hate seeing her throw so much money away on that **** because she drinks it every day.

Any ideas?

Have you seen what the put in there ?

I think it would be fun to try it, but where to buy all of those chemicals

Oh and you should have her try ZipFizz, until you figure this out !

it is a heck of a lot cheaper and has the same stuff in it !
And you can get that stuff pretty cheap at costco as well
zipfizz-containers.jpg

ZIPFIZZ HEALTH ENERGY DRINK w/ Free Sample

I don't know where to source some of the weirder things to throw in there but you can get pure caffeine powder pretty cheap over the 'net, I got 100 grams for 5$.

Bulk Nutrition Has a section of bulk supplements, I'm not sure if they have what is in those drinks, but they are probably one of the most likely sources; At least for the quantities you are looking for.

One quick note, some of the stuff can really affect the flavor, so I would do quite a bit of experimentation before going to larger batches. :D

Also, be VERY careful with things like caffeine and other drug-like additives. Most of them are added in very small quantities which may be difficult to measure, and a small mistake could have some pretty ugly consequences.

Be extremely carefull with the chemical additives. Especially powdered caffiene, as it is quickly absorbed through the skin and lungs and can be lethal in large enough quantities (and by large enough quantities, I'm talking 300mg is an overdose, and 2g can kill you). Any time you handle pure powdered caffiene, you should wear latex or nitrile gloves and a dust mask.

With a kegging system, a carbonator cap and some empty White Labs vials, you could make your own energy shots in their own test tube-like containers. I think those White Labs vials are just parisons anyway (soda bottles before they're blow-molded).

I'm not really into energy drinks, but if I were to do this, I would buy caffeine in tablet form and use a mortar and pestile to grind them up. That way you know exactly how many mg caffeine is in the drink. I wouldn't bother with the other chemicals. I think most of them are for marketing and all or most of the "energy" comes from the caffeine.

# Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Glucose, Citric Acid, Taurine, Sodium Citrate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Caffeine, Niacinamide, Sodium Benzoate (to protect taste), Inositol, Caramel Color, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Cyanocobalamin

Shouldn't be too hard, it's basically sugar, water, caffeine, and B-vitamins. All of which you can probably find locally, and if not you can definitely find them on the net.

Jesus, this is starting to sound scary with all of these chemicals and stuff. As much fun as dying from a caffeine inhalation overdose sounds, I'll probably go the syrup route.

Thanks!

Back