Fruit Sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
I've had a few pounds of blackberries wrapped up in the freezer for several days now, I took them out yesterday to thaw and sprinkled three crushed campden tablets over them and gave em a good stir then stuck it in the fridge overnight. This morning I pull them out and it looks like the entrails of a dead animal. They were sealed in two ziplock bags and wrapped in paper towels while in the freezer, stored in a tupperware container while stored in the fridge so I can't imagine they've gone bad. Unfortunately my allergies prevent me from being able to tell if they smell bad or not, I can't see any kind of mold or growth, there are no longer any noticeable berries to be found just seeds and oatmeally sludge. Anyone ever had this happen? I can still use this no?

blackberry-sludge.JPG

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've gotten so used to just searching the forum here I've forgotten about the wonders of google...

Back