Hop to Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
"An American twist on a classic summer style, this flavorful Belgian-style Witbier is packed with juicy hops for just the right kick. "

Talking about the White Birch wit
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20417/80683

http://www.whitebirchbrewing.com/home/introducing-hop-to-wit/

I'm pretty sure the bottle said ABV is 7% even though beeradvocate is saying 5%

I'm cautious of breweries adding hops to a classic style. And making a beer stronger unnecessarily doesn't seem like a great idea. It seems very gimmicky. Stronger IBU + ABV doesn't agree with me as a consumer. I'm just trying to find a great commercial classic wit as a baseline. In the US, it seems no one is content with classic and wants to make hybrid even though there is no established classic wit available.. or is there?

I understand where you're coming from on classic styles and gimmicks but I think the brewery is trying grab consumers attention. They are a relatively new brewery. A lot of people are enjoying the abv ibu race but I see what you mean. Some beers just become a muddled mess. I actually tried a bunch of white birch beers at a tasting recently and thought they were excellent. For a classic wit, imho, go for allagash white. One of my absolute favorite beers.

For a classic wit, imho, go for allagash white. One of my absolute favorite beers.

I have high regards for Allagash even as a casual beer drinker and I will seek out their wit. Thanks for the suggestion.

If there is classic imported wit that would be a somewhat preferable.

Word. Don't be twisting my classics. Say no to twisting.

If there wasn't any boundary breaking with styles we'd have just about 0 American style beers. Say goodbye to American IPAs, American Pale Ales, American Brown Ales, and the like. Just about all American renditions of their English counterparts.

Or at least that's how I understand things worked out. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about canon beer styles per se, but breweries do need to do their best to communicate what kind of beer you're buying from them.

And for THE classic witbier, at least for the past 60 some years, go find Hoegaarden.

Back