Lost Sailor IPA Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbullock

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the BBC's Lost Sailor IPA, and would like to brew it myself. Has anyone ever come across a good clone recipe for this beer?

I'm looking for an extract recipe, just as an fyi.

Does not seem to be a very well known beer. Did you try contacting the brewer and asking for some tips on brewing it. Often they will tell you all the ingredients leaving out the times & hop schedules and mashing info.

This is a great beer and I've love to get a clone recipe. No idea myself.... If I had to guess I'd say that there were Cascades in there as finishing hops.

I lived in MA for a couple of years and even toured the BBC brewery. This is one of my all time favorite IPA's. If you come across a good clone recipe, I would like to try and brew it. Same goes for the Steel Rail.... I do not even begin to know enough to try and clone it myself.

steel rail clone=

6 lbs extra light dry malt
2 lbs Schrier pale malt grain (cracked)
1/2 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1/2 oz UK Goldings (45 min)
3/4 oz Willamette end of boil
2 tsp Burton salts or Gypsum
1 Safe-Ale US-05

OG 1.058-64

found kit/recipe at beer & winemaking Supplies in No. Hampton. They call it "Golden Spike".
My first batch is in the primary, next time I'll convert to all grain.

Cascade is the finishing hop and they use Bullion for bittering. That is as much as I can say without getting shot.... Just kidding

steel rail clone=

6 lbs extra light dry malt
2 lbs Schrier pale malt grain (cracked)
1/2 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1/2 oz UK Goldings (45 min)
3/4 oz Willamette end of boil
2 tsp Burton salts or Gypsum
1 Safe-Ale US-05

OG 1.058-64

found kit/recipe at beer & winemaking Supplies in No. Hampton. They call it "Golden Spike".
My first batch is in the primary, next time I'll convert to all grain.

Thats actually more of a clone for Gold Spike from BBC that Steel Rail. THe OG is too high for both of them.

Berkshire is notoriously tight lipped about their recipes. I like the beer and to me while it's English inspired it also has some American flavors blended in. Their website says that Goldings are used as a dry hop, the ABV is 5.5% and the IBUs are 40. The poster's suggestion above of Bullion and Cascade hops doesn't sound off.

How about:

6 lbs DME Light
.75 lb Crystal 55L, steeped

.75 oz Bullion @ 60 minutes (Some other non C-hop variety in the 7-8%AA could be used if you can't find Bullion like Challenger or Brewer's Gold)
1 oz Cascade @ 20 minutes
1 oz EKG @ 5 minutes or .5 oz each @ 5 min & dryhopped

Your favorite all purpose UK ale yeast, S-04 would be good and simple to boot. :mug:

Back