John Bull is gone... what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I was curious for those extract brewers who have ever used the late john bull extracts, what they would use now? I used john bull light for a scottish ale I made last winter. I really liked how i turned out. Since John Bull went out of buis I am wondering what extract would best emulate that. I often use northern brewers extracts for other beers. Any suggestions...?

I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just use the extra light DME for everything, and get all your color and flavor from specialty grains. Brewing Classic Styles by Zainascheff & Palmer has tons of great recipes---one for each BJCP substyle, to be exact---and they're all extract recipes by default. I highly recommend it.

I would switch to Coopers. They are really good kits. They are the only canned kits made by an actual brewery.

Now might be a good time to switch to making it from scratch. It is not that much harder if you buy an extract kit.

Forrest

The thing about John Bull is that it never actually fermented down as dry as most other extracts, I imagine you can use the other extracts and substitute some steeping grains in for the residual sweetness.

Latest posts

Back