Bubbles/air in siphon line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbutler

Reaction score
So I was racking some brew a couple days ago, and this kept happening:

img078.jpg

I start the siphon, everything's great, and then where the tubing meets the racking cane, a bubble forms that slooooooowly grows until it breaks off and gets swept down the tube into the keg. Some questions:

• I figure this must be from a *tiny* gap between the tube and the cane where air can get sucked in by the flow. Is that right?
  • Does this happen to everyone, or do I have a lousy situation here that I need to fix?
  • Is there a sanitation or oxygenation concern here? This bothers me a bit when it happens while I'm racking to the secondary, since things are still delicate.

It looks like your line is pretty tight. I've had that happen to me before, but the only time it was really problematic was when I decided to use up some 3/8 line that I accidentally bought.

I'd suggest getting a little worm clamp and cinching your connection down. There could be a sanitation/oxidization concern, but I, personally, wouldn't worry about it too much. The only reason I'd fix it is because that bothered me.

You should be able to wrap the connection with your fingers, apply some pressure, and see the effect stop/slow.

What kind of beer were you racking? Was there a LOT of trub? Sometimes, my cane will get pretty clogged up and it starts sucking "air" which is i think is actually C02 from the beer.

It was a Pils that I've been lagering all summer. I was racking from the secondary into a keg, so there really wasn't much in the bottom of the secondary. Sounds like I just need to clamp that thing down and hope for the best.

I had this problem also but i figured it was the difference of size in the racking cane inside and the inside diameter of the tubing. I discovered on the last 2 batches that if you bend the tubing down right where it connect to the racking cane for just a second or 3 you get rid of the bubble and have a nice smooth flow. bend it almost till the flow stops and you'll see what i mean. i would suggest trying it with water a time or 2 to get the hang of it.

Back